Fdisk to detect SCSI HDDs?

Catastrophe 10:50 17 Sep 05

I am looking for an easy way to detect faulty SCSI HDDs. On one setup, using the same card and cable (with converter where appropriate - but this is not relevant as it happens without converter) option 5 will 'see' the SCSI HDD (in addition to IDE HDD). On other SCSI HDDs there is no option 5. Is this a cast iron proof that the HDD is dead?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Catastrophe 14:22 17 Sep 05

Does anyone know if the same applies to IDE HDDs? I don't have a duff one to check at the moment.

Diemmess 15:12 17 Sep 05

Not quite sure just what you can/cannot do.

If you are going check many HDs there could be a way around by buying an external case for a SCSI HD with Power Supply, plus an adapter to convert SCSI to USB like the Belkin one
click here

My idea would be expensive, would transfer at USB1 speed, and may not be a bit like what you want......... but its a start? (:o

Catastrophe 15:36 17 Sep 05

Diemmess

Many thanks for your reply. There are not lots of HDDs involved, just a few I got from eBay. I just wanted to check that a couple really were dead before junking them. Mostly what I have had from eBay have been fine.

Diemmess 17:28 17 Sep 05

I admit that was overkill, but my memories of a Primary SCSI drive with a good Adaptec card and Windows98SE are fading, and it is not clear to me how you are using in your computer.

So from memory... if you can connect a SCSI HD internally by suitable ribbon and host card, then I should disconnect every other HD (temporarily).

Boot from a '98 setup floppy. At the A:> prompt type Type DIR C: and see what you have.

I you get a "file not recognised" the SCSI may not be dead, it may have an unusual format perhaps unknown to '98 and you still have FDISK to play with.......... FDISK takes no prisoners, which is why I say disconnect all other HDs first to avoid confusion and tears!

Would have replied before but this site crashed for a while!

Catastrophe 06:52 18 Sep 05

Diemmess

Thanks for the reply. In this pc I have only one IDE with Tekron adapter PCI and running xp pro. I am starting from 98 fd and, if IDE not connected, it sometimes (if not always) says in fdisk no hd present or words to that effect.

Diemmess 09:46 18 Sep 05

Sorry, I'm nearly a decade out of date! Your Tekron adapter is presumably the host card for SCSI ? ......... I am guessing but hoped that (temporarily) by detaching your IDE HD for safety and attaching the SCSI disk you want to check, and by booting with the 98 floppy so that you can run FDISK would do the trick.

On that basis if you can FDISK the SCSI drive you have a live one, if not...... perhaps it IS duff.

And that is the snag - I'm out of ideas. I hoped a wiser soul than me would chip in with a better plan.

jimv7 10:24 18 Sep 05

If you use an adaptec scsi card, I believe atleast a 2940 or above that, the scsi bios will will load, detect the hard drive on the computer and give you access to the bios by pressing 'control A', allowing you to set boot options and tools which includes formatting from the scsi bios.

Failing that option, as Diemmess has said, disconnect the ide, and change the bios to boot from scsi, it should show the hard drive.

When i used scsi hard drives with ide drives on my computer, I always had to disconnect the ide as the computer always defaults to ide on boot up, load windows, then connect the ide after.

Catastrophe 11:35 18 Sep 05

This pc, whilst relatively new (<1year) has no SCSI boot option. It has the following options:
Floppy / LS-120 / HD / CD ROM / Zip 100 / USB-FDD / USB ZIP / USB-CD ROM / LAN /Disabled.

At the top (above these) is
Hard Disk Boot Priority. Enter
1. Bootable Add-in cards (no other option)

I can save from here. Might this give SCSI boot?

jimv7 11:42 18 Sep 05

Having only used adaptec scsi cards that had their own bios/boot options, I do not know if the teckram card has this option. I can only say, disconnect your ide hard drive and change the bios to 'boot add-in cards' and try it.

Catastrophe 11:45 18 Sep 05

With IDE attached and using startup disk the SDSI card is recognised, as is the SCSI drive#~~

ID-LUN: 0-0 IBM DCHS 28 Fixed disk 4303 MB ===> C: (80h) (E: RAM-disk)
C/H/S = 548/255/63, Xfer rate = 40.0 MB/s [wide] Sync offset = 15 Bytes

From A: fdisk
No partitions defined
Create extended DOS partition - max size etc.
D: 1 PRI DOS 4299 Mb system unknown Usage 100%
Reboot
No partition defined etc.
Fdisk option 2 create extended partition
Extended DOS partition created
No logical drives defined - selected max available space.
Reboot
E: (was SCSI) now RAM drive and F: invalid.

Without IDE follows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac