Fdisk

Viking girl 20:30 03 Apr 06

Hi

I'm a new member who would like some help.

I have a PC here that was originally a Tiny PC running Windows 98 with 32mb RAMand nothing much else. Someone has installed XP on it and converted file system to NTFS.

I've been trying to use fdsik (on ME Boot Disk) to delete the NTFS, but other than ask me if I want large disk support enabled nothing happens other than it goes back to A:\.

It doesn't seem to want to work with the XP set of boot disks either.

Any suggests as to how I can get around this problems

TIA

lotvic 20:45 03 Apr 06

I would be inclined to get my screwdriver out and take the hard drive out, swap the jumper setting to make it a slave, hook it up to another pc that is running XP and format the slave to FAT32 through XP's Disk Management facility.

Viking girl 20:56 03 Apr 06

Hi

That's one thing I haven't got around to doing. Was trying all other options first. Also I was looking to see if there was a reson why it wouldn't even boot from an XP CD-ROM

Thanks

beeuuem 20:59 03 Apr 06

Does this tutorial help?click here

Bear in mind that you will lose all data on The hard drive. I assume that you want start from scratch with a clean disk.

wobblymike 22:27 03 Apr 06

A few basics - does it still have 32 MB RAM? if so it won't run XP. Why do you wish to change from NTFS it is a better system than FAT32. If you want to reformat then thre are better ways than using F Disk perhaps you would explain exactly what set up you have and exactly what you are looking to do with it

woodchip 22:30 03 Apr 06

Download and run this, click here then you can use the normal Fdisk to create new Partition

Viking girl 09:56 04 Apr 06

Hi

Yes it has 32mb RAM and a 500MHz cpu. I'm amazed how whoever had it before managed to get XP on it

Kill Disk has deleted the NTFS partition
Thanks for help, I'll get back if I have any more problems

Viking girl 11:14 04 Apr 06

I still can't get FDISK to work. All I get is 'do you want to enable large disk support', I put in 'Y' and it just goes back to the A:\. I've tried 4 boot disks up to now and it the same for all of them.

It's really weird

ed-0 11:57 04 Apr 06

lotvic's advice.

If no good, yellow envelope me.;-)

bjh 12:22 04 Apr 06

What make is the hard disk?
If hard disks are playing hard to get, I always resort to using the manufacturer's format/install software, downloadable from their home site.
You will probably need the specific software from the right manufacturer, as they tend to check that a Maxtor/Seagate/Hitachi disk is installed.
That should also check the hard disk for any errors.

Have you set the bios priorities to floppy~CD~HDD?

Have you used FORMAT to format the drive first?

woodchip 21:24 04 Apr 06

If the boot fisc's have beeb created on a XP computer, that's may be why they don't work. See if you can make a boot disc on a ME or 98 comp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…