Redlegends 12:46 13 Oct 03

Using windows and going to ms-dos prompt screen.

I type fdisk and go through the options of wiping my hard drive clean and when the warning comes up it says it can delete partitions as the disk could not be locked.

So how do i lock the disk, is that possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

TBH1 13:15 13 Oct 03

don't think you can do this via windows - - -you have to boot up via your start-up floppy, then do it from there.

brittas 13:18 13 Oct 03

what windows version are you using?
do you have a win 98 startup disk? if you do, boot from that with cd support and then fdisk from there i.e. a:\

brittas 13:23 13 Oct 03

if you try and format inside windows its like committing suicide - windows wont kill itself.
as said before fdisk from startup disk / delete partitions / start from scratch as if new drive i.e. boot from cd if loading windows or floppy if putting dos back underneath - I do not know what system you are using or trying to load / re-load

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:27 13 Oct 03

You need to restart in dos from the shut down menu
to do what you trying to do and you will need a flopppy start up disk or a windows cd set to boot from cd in bios but you may only need to format to clear disk not fdisk.Make sure you have all the files you need to restore you system before you do anything or it could be a devil to restore.

Redlegends 14:26 13 Oct 03

Using windows 98 and i can't restart the bugger in MS-Dos and i can't remember the key to press to stop the loading process.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:39 13 Oct 03

You need a 98 floppy boot disk set to boot from floppy in bios,usually del key at boot to get in bios and to get the safe mode screen it either F8
or CTRL key holded in.Or if you have full 98 disk
set to boot from cd in bios when it asks boot from hdd or cd select cd then select start with cd support after it done loading type format c: press enter should do what you wont but make sure you can get up and running again first.

Redlegends 16:10 13 Oct 03

I have now formatted the c drive (Managed to get it into dos after lots of messing about) anyhoo the drive is now formatted and i want to put XP on the computer now.

How do i go about this.

Thanks for the help so far.

I don't need a floppy do i, i haven't got one. I have the windows XP discs.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:26 13 Oct 03

Nedd to boot from cd witch needs setting in bios do that run setup from cd and follow prompts.

Redlegends 17:12 13 Oct 03

i restart the computer with the XP disc in and nothing happens. When i insert a 98 floppy reboot it prompts and i say start with CD support but it doesn't do anything.

bebbo 17:14 13 Oct 03

go into the bios and change the boot sequence to boot from cd first.......then it will work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…