Faxing in XP

kentylad 16:23 23 Dec 03

I have set up fax console in windows XP Pro and have read through all the articles on TechNet as to how to send/receive a fax.

However, when going through the receiving procedure, I am a bit unclear as to the order in which I proceed.

I have people trying to send me a fax, and this is only known when I answer the phone. I have set the receive option to manual.

When I answer the phone and realise it is a fax, i go to Fax Console, and click on the 'receive now' button. I then wait for the fax monitor box to pop up and then end the call. This doesn't seem to work however.....

What am i doing wrong?

Regards

Nick

kentylad 18:28 23 Dec 03

bump

Cesar 09:47 24 Dec 03

I had the same problem with win 98, click on the fax console button and the progress box should appear at the top left side of the screen.

Stuartli 11:44 24 Dec 03

If you only have dialup the best solution to receiving faxes is to use a free fax to e-mail service - Tiscali is one such provider.

I use to use FaxMe because of having to be warned first if a fax was being sent, but the service ceased sometime last year.

Tiscali issues you with an individual 0871-xxxxxx fax number and you include it on your cover page. It comes, obviously, in e-mail form and opens and displays as a normal fax sheet(s).

The sender pays the cost of the call and Tiscali receives a proportion of it - that's how it makes what must be a modest profit from the service.

kentylad 13:45 24 Dec 03

I am actually on broadband and have bought a 56k Modem (V92) connected to the main phone line in the house.

Nick

Sheila-214876 15:12 24 Dec 03

I use Trinite as my fax provider. Cost £20 per year and I have an 0870 number. All faxes come into my email Inbox. To send faxes though you will need an analogue modem. (I also am on broadband but have an analogue modem fitted) I use Supervoice, free with the modem driver CD. Any programme that has a print module can send a fax. ie. Word, Excel, Works, Publisher etc.... As Stuartli advises above Tiscali seem to do a free fax service. Don't know whether you have to be registered with Tiscali though to get the free fax service. Trinite can be found at click here The advantage of using a fax service (into your email Inbox) of course is, your computer does not have to be on all the time.

Sheila-214876 15:19 24 Dec 03

Just checked Tiscali out and yes, you do have to register with them. But can you register if they are not your ISP? eg. My ISP is NTL, so can I register with Tiscali just for the free fax service?

Stuartli 17:34 24 Dec 03

Judging by the registration form you do have to be a Tiscali subscriber as it asks for UserID and password. I am, as you may have guessed, a Tiscali subscriber.

However, if you took out a PAYG account with Tiscali (you don't have to use it!) you would be able to join and use the fax to e-mail service...:-)

But this website info could prove interesting, although the Tiscali service disproves its claims about free fax to e-mail services.

Stuartli 17:48 24 Dec 03

Website mentioned (and then forgot to post link) is:

click here

Interesting but Tiscali proves it wrong on one particular claim....

Stuartli 17:51 24 Dec 03

kentylad points out that he has broadband and has acquired a separate analogue modem for faxes.....

It could be that the broadband and analogue modem are competing with each other for the line - on broadband only voice calls can also be taken at the same time.

anchor 13:52 25 Dec 03

I have Pipex broadband I can send and receive faxes whilst connected to Pipex, using an ordinary 56k dial-up modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…