Faxing while on line

caulkhead 17:41 14 May 03

We have recently bought a new computer with an internal modem, the fax installed on the computer only works when you are off-line. We have a fax with an external modem which I would like to install and receive all the faxes on this modem whether or not we are on-line. Does anyone know if this will work as I have installed it but am having problems receiving and sending faxes. I would be grateful for any help

fitshase 17:52 14 May 03

I take it you are on a dial-up internet access account.

What you want to do will not work unless you have 2 phone lines (or broadband). While you are online, the modem you are using to access the internet is using the phoneline and therefore the fax will not be able to send or receive while the phoneline is in use (i.e., you are online).

Similarly, you cannot make (or take) a phone call while you are online as the modem is using the phoneline to send and receive data while you are connected to the internet.

Hope this helps

Regards

Fitshase

caulkhead 18:27 14 May 03

Yes, it is a dial-up connection.Does thi mean that with broadband, I can surf, phone and fax at the same time (assuming I've got enough arms!)

caulkhead 18:28 14 May 03

Yes, it is a dial-up connection.Does thi mean that with broadband, I can surf, phone and fax at the same time (assuming I've got enough arms!)

caulkhead 18:31 14 May 03

Djohn 18:51 14 May 03

fitshase is correct in the fact you can't send a fax from a fax program while on line. To send a fax you will normally write or scan your document then use the fax program of your modem to dial. connect, and send.

While on-line your modem is connected to your ISP, so therefore unable to dial the number of the fax recipient.

I'm not sure how this will apply to Broad band, but would think that you can do both at the same time. Others will advise further if this is not correct. J.

-pops- 18:58 14 May 03

Yes you can fax OR phone (not both) while on line with broadband. You still need a dial up modem to be connected if you are faxing from a fax program in your computer.

caulkhead 17:17 21 May 03

Thanks for the advice one and all. I'll work on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…