Faxing using Windows XP and NTL Broadband

VNAM75 19:56 03 Jan 07

I understand you can do this if your connection is through a BT line, but via cable you have to use VOIP. How do I do this? I have scanner.

Also, I have tried to install the fax facility in XP via Add/Remove but it is asking me to load in the XP disc which I can't find at the moment. Can it be downloaded from the Microsoft site or somewhere?

Stuartli 20:04 03 Jan 07

You have to use a dial-up fax/voice/data modem to send/receive faxes using a computer - it can't be done using broadband.

You will need the XP disk if you cannot install the Fax Console from Add/Remove Windows Components.

Totally-braindead 20:09 03 Jan 07

I think I am correct in saying that BB cannot send a Fax. Having said that I believe you can use a third party to send a Fax for you and you can do your part of using BB. I can't advise on the costs or anything or even who provides this service I only know this from seeing comments other Forum members have made. Hopefully some of them will chip in.
The other choice as Stuartli points out is to use your modem.

Stuartli 20:17 03 Jan 07

Try a fax to e-mail service. One example:

click here

if you wish to send large numbers of faxes.

or

click here

click here

click here

click here

Quite a few more around.

VNAM75 20:26 03 Jan 07

OK thanks, I thought it could be done because I had read

You can't use your DSL or cable connection for faxing. A new technology, Voice over IP (VoIP) will undoubtedly make this possible in the future

click here

But I suppose VOIP means using a third party service.

Stuartli 20:31 03 Jan 07

Skype is VoIP.

click here

Don't know if anyone has used this:

click here

Some info on Voice over Internet Protocol:

click here

VNAM75 20:41 03 Jan 07

Stuartli, thanks. All I need is to fax a timesheet once a week from home because the fax machine at work is not up to it. I use Skype and it is very good for making PC to PC calls, better quality than normal phone but sometimes when there is a lot of users online I get disconnected or a sound distortion.

namtas 20:45 03 Jan 07

You could scan the document of course and send it in a email, if this is acceptable to recipient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac