Faxing over the internet

BigMan24 23:14 06 Jan 05

Hi folks,

I don't know if this might be a silly question, but I was wondering if it is possible to fax over the internet.

I don't really know that much about faxing but isn't it really just the same as scanning a document then emailing it to someone?

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

AubreyS 23:25 06 Jan 05

Yes. you will need some fax software, i.e. Mighty Fax click here or something like that. You can't fax over broadband, only dial-up.

BigMan24 23:39 06 Jan 05

"You can't fax over broadband, only dial-up."

is this just from this software or is it not possible to fax using broadband?

and if this is the case do u know why?

TomJerry 23:45 06 Jan 05

for examples

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

free: click here

I have to say, I have never used any of those.

Stuartli 09:05 07 Jan 05

If you have Windows there is a built-in fax program - in earlier versions it was Windows Messaging, installed using Awfax.exe and wms.exe from the OS CD.

In the case of XP, go to Add/Remove Programs and then Add/Remove Components. Select Fax Components.

The Fax Console is very easy to configure and use but you will require dialup to use it; if you have broadband it could be worthwhile to reinstall a modem for this purpose.

Faxes can be sent and received but the system must be on to receive faxes; I therefore use Tiscali's free to the user Fax to E-mail service, but this is only for Tiscali subscribers.

You could set up a PAYG service with Tiscali just for fax purposes or try one of the other fax to e-mail suppliers, although they are getting a bit thin on the ground these days.

jon2 10:57 07 Jan 05

you can also use Faxmail which allows fax's via email which is free and can be used on broardband

€dstowe 11:35 07 Jan 05

If you are faxing Internet to Internet than I can't see much point - you may just as well send emails.

I have a Fax setup in my business which is hardly ever used now except for one dinosaur of a client company which refuses to have a computer - how they got a Fax machine, I don't know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…