Faxing?

Alf58 14:26 16 Apr 07

I have a Win Xp setup and connect to the internet using a an ASDL router. Is it possible to send a fax using this setup? I tried to do it but got a message telling me no fax modem was connected to my computer.

Stuartli 14:52 16 Apr 07

No, you need a dialup modem with fax/data capability.

Faxes cannot be sent via broadband, but you can install a dialup modem and switch between the two as necessary (disconnecting the BB modem inbetween); however Receiving e-mails would be a problem.

A search of the forums will reveal many threads on this subject...:-)

moorie- 14:52 16 Apr 07

as far as i know you cant send faxes on broadband
but you can if you use a service such as this
click here

Diemmess 14:54 16 Apr 07

No, your ASDL router is not the same thing at all as a modem, the thing used in dial-up connections.

If you have an old card or a modem integrated with your motherboard It will need installing not only as hardware, but as another Printer.

The last bit is so much easier with XP than it used to be with Win 9x.
Prompts will take you throung the process, but first you must have modem and this must be plugged into the telephone outlet side of the filter which was there when you first connected with Broadband.

Diemmess 15:02 16 Apr 07

No need to interfere with Internet access settings at all, if all you want to do is to send a facsimile of a document to someone who has a fax machine to receive it.

Alf58 15:51 16 Apr 07

Thanks for all your help folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…