faxes on broadband phone line???possible

end 22:46 20 Jun 04

please refer to this thread for my original entry on this(am not sure how to copy that entry onto THIS thread)

click here

any advise or suggestions please????

end 22:56 20 Jun 04

and yes, I do have two different phone numbers, orininating from when I went onto internet and wanted to be able to use the phone as well, plus the joys of call minder!!!!

johnnyrocker 22:57 20 Jun 04

use your on board modem for fax and your bband for i/net.

johnny.

MAGGX 23:02 20 Jun 04

Hi END there must be an easy answer to this if you find the answer could you please let me know as well thanks

end 23:03 20 Jun 04

I have an independent fax /phone machine here.....so why use the computer/???

VoG II 23:07 20 Jun 04

So why the question, my dear friend end?:

end 23:08 20 Jun 04

let me clarify....

what I ahve is an "ordinary" phone line (and dyslexia!!) , which also "takes " my fax/phone machine; I ALSO have a separate phone line which I had "upgraded" to broadband, so that i COULD USE broadband, what same is on this computer!!!(na, u dont say...Yeh really!!!)

my "issue" is....can I , if I want to, use the broadband phone line to send a fax using the fax/phone machine I have ( providing of course I plug it into the phone line!!); I HAD considered only having the one phone line in broadband, but THAT would presumably prevent me from sending /receiving faxes via my fax/phone machine...am I making myself clear or...????

any comments or .....hum...

LastChip 23:14 20 Jun 04

When your ordinary telephone line is Broadband enabled, some very cleaver hardware and software effectively splits the single line into two separate parts. Not physically, but electronically!

The Broadband part, can ONLY be used for an internet connection, however, the other part (analog) can be used exactly the same as it was prior to Broadband being enabled.

The only difference, is now, any other analog device, telephone, fax, modem etc, must be connected via a filter. This is to stop "noise" from the Broadband channel interfering with the analog signal.

So, if you want to FAX from a PC, you will have your Broadband Modem connected via (either) an internal PCI slot, or USB port or Network card. To recap, you can only use this for the internet. BUT, if you ALSO have a normal FAX modem installed, you can connect this via a filter to your normal telephone line and providing the FAX software is installed, send FAX's via your computer. In other words, you will end up with TWO cables from your PC. One UNFILTERED from your Broadband Modem to the telephone socket and the other from your normal modem to the FILTERED side of the telephone socket connection.

I hope this makes sense!

Forum Editor 23:18 20 Jun 04

your existng phone line is split into two, like virtual 'pipes', one inside the other if you like.

The outer, larger pipe handles high-speed digital data and sends it from the internet to your computer and vice-versa.

The inner, smaller pipe remains as an analogue conduit, and handles speech traffic in the normal way - you can make calls or send and receive faxes on the line at the same time as digital data is flowing in the inner pipe. The analogy isn't quite appropriate but it will do. At the exchange end there is some hardware that separates the two data streams and sends them on their way - voice goes into the BT telecoms system and digital data goes out to the internet via your ISP.

You can't connect a fax machine to the ADSL side of your line - it wouldn't work, and in any case the plug connector for ADSL is different to the one on the fax - take a look at your microfilter.

The broadband service effectively makes two lines out of one. You still have the same number for the analogue line of course, but the ADSL connection doesn't have a number - it can't dial anything anyway. When you connect to the BT exhange ADSL equipment your modem doesn't dial anything, it handshakes with an exhange gateway and authenticates you via your ISP.

You can send faxes via your computer if you have a broadband service, but you need to understand that you aren't faxing in the normal sense - your fax goes via the internet, and is converted to analogue form by your internet fax service for onward transmission to the recipient's phone number.

Does that help?

Forum Editor 23:21 20 Jun 04

Advice in stereo!

LastChip 23:25 20 Jun 04

;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…