//some 3rd party need geo

Fax and Voice mail facilities with cable

golfpro 10:21 24 Jun 03

I live in Austria, but I suppose the technology is the same everywhere. My ISP is the local cable co. I would if possible like a Fax and voice mail facility, I have an external modem from the cable Co. and also one internal which came with the PC but not connected to the phone line. Do cable companies provide this service or not, if not is there another way round it, I suppose the easiest answer would be "Ask the cable Co." but I wanted to try here first before making a long trip. by the way my OS is XP home.

Agent Smith 10:30 24 Jun 03

Is you cable connection Broadband? If so you will need to use your standard modem for fax. I would imagine (don't have cable) that if you can connect a standard fax to your cable then you should be able to connect ordinary modem.

Pusherman 10:54 24 Jun 03

Connect you internal modem to your phone line in the usual manner and use that to send your faxes. You can't send a fax over a broadband connection.

golfpro 11:07 24 Jun 03

Ok, but will this affect my cable internet connection, do I have to have a second ISP for this service, and what about voice mail, do I need special software if so which. Another question, can I leave the internal modem connected all the time to my phone line.

Pusherman 11:45 24 Jun 03

When I was on cable (NTL cable) I kept my modem connected to my phone line all the time and I didn't need another ISP just to send faxes. Sending a fax is just like making a normal telephone call except its a fax machine at the other end. I use XP Pro to send my faxes so I don't need any special software or services. If you keep your modem connected to the phone line all the time you may want to programme it so that it doesn't try to answer the line, or only answers after many rings. For example; I programmed my modem to answer the call after 10 rings, my answering machine was set to answer the call after 6 rings, so I was always able to answer the call before my answering machine did. Basically I never wanted my modem to answer the call. You'll need to look at the modem manual for details on how to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…