FAX on PC

johnincrete 06:23 01 Apr 09

I have just needed to receive a FAX & to send a reply. Had to beg favour from local shop so I'm looking at the possibility of setting up my PC to FAX.
I have a Dell all-in-one that I use for scanning but it won't print. Have Canon ip3000 as my printer. My phone line is ISDN split to the phone and to the ADSL modem.
Can anyone point me to a user guide on how to set up FAX and how to operate it

mgmcc 07:41 01 Apr 09

Which version of Windows are you using? XP has the ability to send/receive fax messages built in; with Vista, only the "business" versions include the feature.

In XP, open the "Printers & Faxes" folder and click the link at the left to "Set up faxing". The PC does, of course, need to have a "dialup" faxmodem installed and any V90/V92 modem should be suitable. An ADSL modem is *NOT SUITABLE* as it is an internet-only device and fax is transmitted using a conventional phone call.

johnincrete 10:12 01 Apr 09

Thanks for the info.
It's a long time since I had a dial-up modem. Presumably its got to go somewhere in the line from the splitter to the phone e.g. will I connect the line to the modem and then plug the phone into the modem? How will the modem connect to the computer - can it be USB or do I have to to do something with the PC to ADSL model line?

Will an incoming FAX automatically get save on the PC to be viewed / printed?
What happens if my PC is not switched on?
Presumably the phone will ring for an incoming FAX. How do I know its not a normal call? What happens if I pick up the phone? Lots of questions- thanks in advance for you patience

I want to be clear I can do it before I start buying.

Clapton is God 13:11 01 Apr 09

Let me try to answer SOME of those questions:

“will I connect the line to the modem and then plug the phone into the modem? How will the modem connect to the computer”

For an internal (within the PC) modem you connect the phone socket on the PC direct to the phone socket on the wall.

“Will an incoming FAX automatically get save on the PC to be viewed / printed?”

It depends on the fax software you’re using and how you set it up. Refer to the FAQs section of the software.

“What happens if my PC is not switched on?”

The sender of the fax will get an engaged/unobtainable tone and, hence, you won’t receive a fax!

“Presumably the phone will ring for an incoming FAX. How do I know its not a normal call? What happens if I pick up the phone?”

Again, refer to the FAQs section of the software but, theoretically, the ring tone for an incoming fax will be different to the ring tone for a ‘normal’ phone call.

johnincrete 13:55 01 Apr 09

Thanks all but it all looks a bit too complicated to me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…