Fax from laptop

FOEYDO 11:27 05 Apr 08

Hi, first of all I need to find out whether a computer has a fax modem to be able to recieve faxes, how do I do this?
Then I need somebody to recommend a free fax sending and receiving software.
Windows xp on a laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:30 05 Apr 08

You can only send and receive fax if you have a Dialup modem (won't work through broad band) as fax use the old analogue phone lines.

A fax program is built into windows.

FOEYDO 11:31 05 Apr 08

How can I find out if I have a dial up modem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 05 Apr 08

Your laptop will have a port you can plug a phone line into, similar but slightly smaller than the ethernet (network cable) port.

silverous 11:55 05 Apr 08

There are a number of online fax services which allow you to send faxes over the internet if that would be of interest also.

FOEYDO 11:57 05 Apr 08

Thanks but looking for software on my actual pc

Technotiger 12:08 05 Apr 08

Go to Start>Search>All files/folders then just type in Fax.

FOEYDO 12:11 05 Apr 08

Hi technotiger, what is that going to tell me?

Technotiger 12:13 05 Apr 08

You said you were looking for the fax software on your PC !! So this will tell you where to find it.

Ditch999 12:30 05 Apr 08

Assuming you have a dial up modem then try Start > Control Panel > Add Remove Progs > Add/Remove Windows components and tick the box that says Fax Services following it through to the end. You might need the XP cd or browse to your i386 folder for the necessary files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…