Fax via Dial Up when on Broadband

Goonhavern Blue 12:04 03 May 06

Since I have gone onto Broadband I cannot send faxes but can receive them.

I have Windows XP Ver SP2, I have an internal dial up modem that I still use for special ISP work, but have Broadband external modem for daily use.

I assume you can't use BB for sending faxes, as in the Fax setup configuration it lists only my dial up modem only.

MS Fax on XP shows my dial up modem as default, and there is no way I have found to make programme use the Broadband Modem.

As my faxes do even go out, even with this dial up modem as default I am not sure why.

I have no problem receiving faxes, so programme & modem must work OK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek

Totally-braindead 12:18 03 May 06

I can't help here but do know one thing, you are correct in what you say about broadband not sending faxes. If you get stuck try doing a search through all the old threads for broadband and fax and see what it comes up with. From what I remember about the threads I saw on the subject a lot of people used a third party company to send/receive faxes on their broadband connection and the prices varied, some charged a set fee per year I think and others charged per fax.
Sorry I can't be more help, I know you can use your modem to send faxes but am unsure as to what can be stopping faxes being sent presumming its using the modem and not trying to send via the broadband.

Stuartli 12:39 03 May 06

The reason is most likely that you don't know when a fax is being received or the software is not configured to recognise a phoneline incoming fax.

As you can send faxes, you need to check out the configuration for receiving them.

Check out Help in XP's Fax Console.

Woolwell 12:55 03 May 06

You can only send faxes via your dial-up modem. Fax is like a telephone call from one fax machine to another.
Under printers and faxes do you have fax shown?
Try clicking on this and use the send a fax wizard. I have successfully sent Fax on Windows XP SP2 doing this on my previous PC.

Stuartli 13:18 03 May 06

Goonhavern Blue states quite clearly that he uses a dialup modem (as he should) for faxes - the problem is that he can receive but not send.

That seems to me a question of configuration.

I've been sending and receiving faxes using Windows 98, 98SE and XP Pro for around six years (don't rquire it now) as Microsoft has always provided excellent fax programs with its operating systems.

The original version I used was Windows Messaging and, with XP Pro, the Fax Console.

The problem with a dialup modem receiving calls is that you have to know if a phone call is a fax or voice call, unless it is set up to receive them automatically.

Bit difficult when you are surfing on a dialup modem, but OK I would have thought with broadband in use.

Woolwell 15:44 03 May 06

We are talking at cross purposes. I also have extensively used Fax and the Fax console (used to be important for a business before e-mail really took over). I didn't gather that there was a problem with notification of receiving a fax. I have always had a notification of an incoming call (fax or phone) with Broadband on and the pop-up has asked if I want to treat it as a fax. Of course not when surfing on dial-up modem.

I was interested to know what happened when the send fax wizard was used.

I agree that it could be configuration. Is send actually enabled? Otherwise could it be firewall?

Stuartli 16:13 03 May 06

Sorry about that..:-)

When I had a dialup modem the main problem when surfing was, obviously, not being able to receive or even being aware that a there was an incoming fax.

Somewhat defeats the object, so my eventual cure was to use Tiscali's free fax to e-mail service and only use the fax modem to send faxes (obviously when not online).

However, if you have broadband, as you say the faxes should work both ways via a dialup modem.

sicknote 16:39 03 May 06

this is free and you can receive your fax's as emails

click here

click here

Goonhavern Blue 20:37 03 May 06

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your postings, I seem to be on same trail of thought, however when I am not using BB, and I try to send a fax using Fax wizard, I can fill in all the details, and press send, but as soon as I do a RED X comes against the fax icon.

The default is my dial up modem, so I can't work out why it fails.

As you say when I know a fax is coming in, I get computer to pick it up via Dial Up Modem, and I make sure I am not on BB, just in case.

I only send a fax once in a blue moon, but as always when you need to I can't and this has only happened since going on BB.

Firewall (Zone Alarm) and AVG were always there before, could it be Windows Defender ?

Derek

woodchip 20:41 03 May 06

Does the Fax show as a Printer, in your Word possessor? If it does choose it to send

Stuartli 20:57 03 May 06

Your BB connection should be the default connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…