Fax Console will not Receive Faxes - but Sends OK

BibleGuru 16:05 26 Feb 04

I have just activated the Fax console on my XP Home system (with Office 2000 Pro.)and ran through the Configuration Wizard to set it up.

I can send faxes without any problems, but I can NEVER receive any. When I send test faxes from another fax machine to my Fax Console (which is running off my modem with a dedicated ISP line) I get the following message:

"An attempt to receive a fax has failed. An error occurred while receiving a fax."

I've looked on the Microsoft Knowledge Base, and on this site, but I can't see any mention of this problem or the error message.

Advice please?

Stuartli 17:34 26 Feb 04

If you are using your modem you cannot receive a fax.

By opening up your Fax Console and then its Help file, you will find that the original installation is to send faxes but not receive them.

If you then look up Sending and Receiving Faxes, you will find how to configure the console.

However, if you are still not successful, consider a fax to e-mail receiving service from Tiscali or similar.

You are given an 0871-xxx xxx fax number which others use to send you a fax; in turn you get it as an e-mail but can open in in true fax layout. You provide the phone number on your own fax cover page.

The service is free to you whilst Tiscali or whoever take a small percentage of the phone call charge as a financial reward.

BibleGuru 11:14 27 Feb 04

Thanks Stuartli for replying.

Your advice regarding sending and receiving faxes configuration etc was something that I had already done. I still can't receive faxes though.

I am curious as to whether the CSID and TSID data is essential, and if so, I tried it blank and with my fax number abd name in it, and still I can't receive faxes.

Stuartli 17:29 27 Feb 04

The TSID and CSID are sender and caller telephone identities.

Just put FAX in the TSID request box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac