Fax connection

geedad 14:07 22 Mar 04

Have Fax software - USB ( only ) printer - USB ( only ) scanner.
Windows XL, Pentium 4 all bells and whistles!
Ethernet card AND dial-up modem installed.
Software, on attempting to load shows ' Cannot locate Fax printer' . t therefore does not load into Fax mode.
Anybody had similar experiences ?
All replies gratefully received.

beeuuem 14:13 22 Mar 04

Which software are you using?

pj123 15:19 22 Mar 04

Now I see. You cannot run fax without a modem. Broadband is digital, Fax is analogue. You need to install a modem in your computer to send and receive faxes. Most modem drivers include Supervoice which is what I use, but to receive faxes your computer must be switched on and Supervoice running. To get over this I use Supervoice for sending faxes only and I subscribe to Trinite (£24 a year) for incoming faxes. Incoming faxes come into my email inbox so I don't need my computer switched on. Trinite can be found at click here

The Kestrel 15:46 22 Mar 04

If you have Windows XP as your OS, there is a fax program available. This is not loaded as default. You will need your OS CD disk to install it.Go to add/remove programs in control panel, click add/remove windows components and then tick Fax services box, instructions will follow.

geedad 21:46 23 Mar 04

Also relates to 'Fax Software' in Forum.
Thanks, pj123. I was using a similar approach to receiving faxes on my previous computer, which had an enhanced card installed. I was using Supervoice to send, since this costs nothing in B/band to send. However, may I recommend a company called eFax.com for free receipt of faxes ( no yearly charge )and if you use this company, like I do, you will save £24 each year!
To The Kestrel.
Found the Fax software on the OS disk, works fine!
Many thanks to all!

Stuartli 09:43 24 Mar 04

If you use Tiscali it has a free fax to e-mail service and provides you with a dedicated 0871-xxx-xxx fax number; Tiscali takes a small proportion of the sender's phone cost of sending the fax as its reward.

pj123 11:22 24 Mar 04

geedad. Sorry this is after it's been ticked but I have been trying to sort out a problem of my own, (now sorted). Yes, I have tried the free fax to email services but they were so erratic that £2 a month for the amount of faxes I receive is a small price to pay for a good service.

To Stuartli, to take up the Tiscali offer they have to be your ISP as far as I can make out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…