Fax on Computer

Yimbo 20:38 19 Feb 09

I believe it's possible to use a computer to send and receive fax material. What do you need to enable this facility - and how do you set it up and actually do it? I use XP (Home). I'd be grateful for any assistance> Thanks!

Technotiger 20:41 19 Feb 09
  anchor 09:26 20 Feb 09

Remember you will need an ordinary modem to do this. You can`t send a fax using ADSL.

Graham. 09:54 20 Feb 09

Not strictly true, but you need a third party such as click here

Yimbo 10:46 20 Feb 09

It doesn't look as easy as I thought, but I'll have a go. Thanks for your help - much appreciated!

Stuartli 11:30 20 Feb 09

If you have a dial up fax modem still available, you can install the Fax Console from Add/Remove Windows Components (you may need your XP installation disk); even if you have to buy a modem it will be under a fiver these days.

Windows, up to XP, has always had a first class fax utility - in fact Windows Messaging from the middle 1990s was laid out in the same way as Outlook Express, making it very easy to use.

anchor 09:46 21 Feb 09

Graham: Yes, I know that you can use a third party service, but this costs money, (in the case of e-fax, £7.50/month). One must decide if its worth it for sending the odd one or two.

If Yimbo has not got a 56k modem, they are quite cheap to buy.

wiz-king 10:49 21 Feb 09

Don't forget - if you want to receive faxes you will need to leave your PC on all the time. Most data/fax/voice modems come with a programme to give you automatic swithching between fax and voice answerphone.

anchor 10:55 21 Feb 09

This is the service I use to receive faxes via e-mail. The PC does not need to be switched on all the time. Not too expensive either. Reliable and quick. Worth it if you expect to receive more than the very occasional fax.

click here

Yimbo 20:22 21 Feb 09

Thanks guys - you've given me a lot to think about. I do have an old dial-up modem, so I'll have a go. I like your "FaxtoMail" service, anchor. This may be just the thing for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…