Fax

GeoffR 11:54 11 Jan 09

Each time my computer starts a box comes up saying that I need to insert the Fax CD, followed by an errot message. I can get rid of them by normal deletion.

I have searched my files and start-up but can find no reference to Fax. I do not want Fax and find the continual appearance of these messages irritating

Geoff richards

MAJ 11:59 11 Jan 09

Operating System? Have you checked msconfig to see what's listed in there? Start > Run, type:

msconfig

click OK and then click the Startup tab.

GeoffR 14:32 11 Jan 09

Thanks for advice but can find no mention of fax either under Start-up or Services

MAJ 14:42 11 Jan 09

it's possible that something starting up in msconfig is calling for the Fax, maybe MS Office or whichever Office program/Suite you have installed, maybe your internal modem software/driver even. What do you have listed in msconfig > startup tab?

Stuartli 15:30 11 Jan 09

You would have to have a dial-up fax modem to even warrant having a fax utility installed.

Does a Setting Up Faxing line appear in the Printer Tasks section of the Printers and Faxes panel?

XP, like previous Windows versions, has an excellent fax utility, in this case in the form of the Fax Console; however, it isn't installed by Default, but from Add/Remove Windows Components via Control Panel.

You could also check in Services (key in:

services.msc

in Run and OK)

that a Fax service is/may be enabled. If so Disable it.

Do you have an HP printer? It seems that they can sometimes cause this problem and that the HP disk should be inserted if the message comes up.

GeoffR 11:39 12 Jan 09

Many thanks for all the helpful advice. I have loaded the HP disk and that seems to have solved the problem.
It is nice to know that there are so many knowledgeable computer users out there willing to provide advice to the less knowlegeable !

GeoffR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…