Fax

Bald Eagle 07:16 11 Dec 07

Running Vista Home Premium, is there a Fax facility with this program? If so how do I enable it? Tried following Help guidelines and not getting any relevant answers.

BE

€dstowe 08:27 11 Dec 07

I've found that Windows FAX, on whatever version of Windows, is more trouble than it's worth.

Unless, or until, FAX is enabled to operate directly on a broadband line (unlikely as it's such an old technology) you are going to need a dial-up modem on your computer. These are becoming quite rare now.

The alternative is a dedicated FAX machine or use a FAX service company which is fiddly and involved and not really worth the trouble.

You can get multifunction printers with a FAX facility at a quite reasonable cost. You can use these either through your computer or independently (thus more convenient). In addition, you don't have the potential problem of having a dial-up modem attached to the computer with the danger of unknowingly downloading things you would rather not have into your machine.

anchor 09:25 11 Dec 07

Personally, I think a dial-up modem is very useful to have. It enables you to access the internet if/when your broadband connection goes down; plus, it makes it easy to send faxes.

€dstowe solution is sound, but means you have to buy an new piece of equipment. If you don`t have a dial-up modem, they are quite cheap.

(N.B. Make sure that Vista drivers are available).

You could then use something like SnappyFax to send your faxes. This costs only about a tenner.

click here

Bald Eagle 16:10 12 Dec 07

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry about the slow reply but I've been to Lancashire!!! Spoken by a Yorkshire lad!!!

BE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…