Fax

Liza 01:14 08 Apr 06

How does one send a fax these days. I have tried without success, somehow there is now no connection to do this. After broadband I remember being advised to keep my old modem attached to the computer in case it was required. Could it be used for fax but how. Installing fax from Windows ‘add a device’ did not do anything it only threw up an error that said a network connection was unplugged so fax failed. I got my HP printer (with a fax feature) to send but HP after checking said there was no modem! Can someone help please. Liza

Forum Editor 02:19 08 Apr 06

to send a fax, but you'll have to connect it separately to the analogue side of your phone line - by plugging it into the telephone socket on the broadband microfilter.

Before you do this, as word of warning:-

If you leave your old modem connected to the phone line you are running a risk. If you somehow managed to download a dialer (a piece of code that can sneak onto your computer without you realising it) you could end up with a massive phone bill. Dialers work by getting analogue modems to secretly dial premium rate numbers and stay connected for hours at a time. The first you may know about it is when a huge bill drops through the letterbox. The chances of this happening aren't great, especially if you practise safe surfing habits and stay away from suspect sites, but the possibility exists.

If you want to send a fax via the analogue modem by all means do so, but unplug the modem from the phone line when you've finished.

spuds 11:32 08 Apr 06

Other options: click here click here click here click here click here

Regarding security, and if you are using a BT line, then contact BT about their privacy scheme and dialer download (before you connect your analogue modem).

pj123 14:43 08 Apr 06

If you still have an analogue modem installed in your PC check the installation CD that came with it.

I am on NTL Broadband but still have an analogue modem for sending faxes. The installation CD came with a fax program called supervoice. If you don't have that I have a couple of other old (not used) modem CDs that have supervoice on them.

As the FE says don't leave your analogue modem connected to the phone line when not in use. My modem is only connected to the phone line when I need to send a fax, although I do have Premium Rate call barring on my phone line.

For incoming faxes I use Trinite (now nildram)at a cost of £23 inc VAT per year. All incoming faxes come into my email inbox.

click here

Liza 23:07 08 Apr 06

Thank you one and all. Very interesting. I did not know there was this facility. Yes my old analogue modem is still connected but not on the broadband microfilter. I will do as you say use and remove after use. My relative wanted me to check his fax machine by sending a fax to it.
Liza

Stuartli 23:20 08 Apr 06

Windows has always had an excellent fax program available from the installation disk (Windows Messaging) or Add/Remove Wiondows Components.

Messaging was based on Outlook Express and was virtually idential in layout, making it very easy to configure and use.

Liza 21:54 09 Apr 06

Thanks Stuartli.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now