Favourites no longer displayed

Blott 22:38 18 Oct 05

Using IE 6 , XP Home.

For no apparent reason ( I don't think I've done anything to cause it !! ) my favourites no longer display when I click on the icon in the toolbar.

The column appears on the left of the screen OK, but is blank.

EXCEPT - if I click on history, history displays OK, I then hide history and click on favourites, History displays once more.

I have checked the favourites files, and they are all there OK and contained in

C:\documents and settings\myfile

To be sure, I have copied them into

C:\documents and settings\default user

and

C:\documents and settings\all users

One clue, I'm not certain but the favourites icon in my IE toolbar is a yellow star. I seem to recall at some time seeing one of the favourites directories in C:\documents and settings\...... marked with a similar star.
There isn't one so marked now.

It seems to me that the IE is no longer looking in the right path for the favourites ??

Would appreciate any assistance.

Regards to all
Blott

VoG II 22:41 18 Oct 05

Try a repair click here

Blott 08:55 19 Oct 05

Dear VoG

Thanks for that, but no success.

There are two methods of repair listed. First one ran OK, system file checker programme completed with nothing further required or information displayed.

The second one involves installing the ie.inf file. The file was in Windows\inf folder as stated, but when I came to re-install it from the CD I did not know the path to type in.
Tried to find the file on the CD using explorer, but as far as I can see it is not on the CD.

However, when I insert the CD first it auto-runs and one of the on screen options is to install components. Would it be OK to try that ?

Regards
Blott

Blott 10:52 20 Oct 05

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but as it contains the word "Favourites", here it is.

When I try to install or to uninstall an application, the operation fails, with the message :-

Error 1606. Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Favourites\.

(Note :- my computer is not networked)

Blott 16:56 20 Oct 05

Am calling this thread closed, but now posting the more serious problem, which I suspect is connected.

Regards to all
Blott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009