favourite sub £30 utility

zoomer 20:31 15 Nov 03

I recently bought Driver Detective and have found it to be super useful when setting up someones machine, re-install OS etc then drivers....

just wondering other folk's recommended value for money utilities?.......excluding anti-virus utils.

powerless 20:33 15 Nov 03

You'll find the majority of apps, FREE.

Someone will provide a link that i cannot be bothered to find.

Diodorus Siculus 20:39 15 Nov 03

click here for details of someone who did a search for freeware computing - other than the OS which was purchased, everything else is free.

The only utility I paid for (that was shareware) is BeckyMailer from click here - all the rest of my software is either legitimate purchases, or (more likely) quality freeware.

zoomer 20:44 15 Nov 03

yes, I am well aware that most utilities can be found for free.That sort of was part of my point, this was the first time I have actually purchased this type of thing, in the past like everyoe else I have used freebies and I am pleased with the value. Just wondering if any others had found this to be the case.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:50 15 Nov 03

Audiograbber...$25

Norton Systemworks.......$35

Photo resizer pro.......$10

Irfanview....$10 donation as it is sooooo good.

The rest of the crud on my computers cost considerably more than £30 :-((((((

G

recap 20:50 15 Nov 03

Linux is surely the best value for money?

zoomer 20:57 15 Nov 03

photo resizer looks excellent, just the type of thing I think I meant!...:=)

Linux is of course probably the ultimate value but for the novice it may be not exacty a boon, but an initial learning curve is necessary, I think I`m looking for a utility that is both cheap and is hassle free AND actually saves hassle........

Belatucadrus 21:32 15 Nov 03

click here I'm using Openoffice because my old Smartsuite has problems with some newer documents plus it can save as acrobat. As for utilities :- Aida32, Smart Uninstaller, Zipcentral & XNview click here

For stuff like antivirus & firewall, I'm using avast! & Kerio and would pay for them if I couldn't use the free non profit home use license.

Pesala 21:38 15 Nov 03

These programs are regularly recommended by forum members. They can resolve many of the problems posted on this forum. No doubt other forum regulars will post their own favourite Freeware. Always check for compatibility with your Windows version before downloading.

*** Anti-virus / Privacy/ Security ***

Ad-aware (1,504 K) click here Removes spyware and data-mining programs.

AVG click here Excellent antivirus program with regular updates.

Spybot S&D 1.2 (3,577 K) click here Removes spyware from your system

Sygate (5,161 K) Firewall click here

Zone Alarm (3,633 K) click here

*** Font Tools ***

The Font Thing (483 K) click here Font Manager

Babel Map (347 K + 289 K help) click here Unicode character map

Fix Font Folder (344 K) click here Fix Fonts Folder is a utility that locates and fixes font related problems. It scans all installed fonts and checks the integrity of the fonts related part of the registry.

Extended Character Map (13 K) click here

Truetype Explorer (1,616 K) click here Powerful Font Viewer

*** Graphics Viewing and Conversion ***

Irfan View 3.85 (855 K + 4.2 Mbytes for plug-ins) click here This tiny graphics viewer on steroids does most common tasks faster than bloated Photo-editors. Scan, crop, flip, rotate, convert, resize, recolour, and special effects, plus slideshows, html thumbnail galleries, batch conversion, and batch renaming. No paint, clone, or mask tools though.

*** System Tools ***

Aida (New version 1,851 K) click here System information

Audacity (1,297 K + 373 K MP3 encoder) click here Sound-recorder, MP3 Editor

Atomic Clock Sync (484 K) click here

Belarc Advisor (609 K) click here System information

Cacheman (852 K) click here Memory manager

Chainsaw (104 K) click here Splits large files for easier transfer and recombines them on any PC with a simple batch file.
Directory Printer (925 K) click here (Also requires VBRUN300.DLL (1.2 Mb) which you may already have in your Windows\System directory).

Diskeeper Lite (10,005 K) click here Defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

Eraser (2.68 Mbytes) Cleans unused hard disk space and overwrites deleted files to prevent recovery.

File Splitter (290 K) click here

FTP Commander 5.90 (500K) click here

Monitor Tests: Display Calibration click here Monitor Response click here Screen Calibration click here (provided by Huggyg71)

Motherboard Monitor (1,736 K) click here Monitors temperatures etc.

Properties Plus (281 K) click here Time/Datestamp editor XP compatible

RealOne Player (8,282K) click here

SiSoft Sandra (2,880 K) click here More detailed system information

Tiny Spell (547K) click here Freeware spell checker

Tweak UI (111 K) click here Adjust Windows Interface settings

Tweak UI 1.33 (11 3K) click here Some additional tools from Microsoft Developers

Zip Central (845 K) click here Free zip archiver

*** PC Advisor Links ***

More Software Here click here

And Downloads Here click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:08 15 Nov 03

photo resizer is free if you want to resize one photo at a time. If you cough up the moolah you can batch resize. IMHO it is better than Irfanview in this respect. I have the feeling that some are straying off the feel of the thread. ;-))))

G

Pesala 22:21 15 Nov 03

Keyboard Macro program from click here for about £20.

Very handy for Truetype Font editing, which is very repetitive, and typing special characters.

Easy to record and edit macros to do all sorts of boring jobs quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…