Faulty Surge Protector/Limited or no Conectivity

RobCharles1981 14:43 27 May 07

I hope you can help me here,

I have a Belkin 8 Way Surge Protector on my Computer and I'm not sure if its causing me problems, when I want to use the computer I switch on at the mains at the wall, and the Power to the house goes off (Very Anyoing I know) I then have to go and reset it grrr!! The other day I tried leaving the computer off to use the Shower and the electric went off - had to reset it! Is it a problem with the Surge Protector here has anyone had any same problems that I have?

2nd Problem "Limited or no Conectivity" this I get when Windows Loads up to the Desktop anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Hope you can help
Rob

johndrew 15:07 27 May 07

Problem 1.

Why not try removing the surge connector completely and connecting directly to the wall socket. If the house power goes down when you switch your PC on then you will know it is your PC and not the surge connector.

Problem 2.

You could either:

click here
click here
click here
click here

For information.

Or try:

Opening a command prompt and type netsh winsock reset.

or

Opening the command prompt and type ipconfig /release, hit enter then type ipconfig /renew.

RobCharles1981 15:20 27 May 07

Thanks John,

With this power Surge thing its not the computer that is doing I know for sure, my Dad tried a Hoover in the same socket in the wall and its fine, I rekon its something to do with the earthing of the house,

Ile give this command prompts a try when I next see that problem and see how it goes.

Regards
Rob

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 27 May 07

Residual breaker trips if there is a leakage of current to earth. This is a deadly fault as you could be electrocuted by the faulty equipment

If OK when running Hover out of same socket house wiring is OK
It is either your surge protector or anything plugged into the surge protector that is faulty.

Try your equipment direct into the socket without the surge protector to find out which equipment is casing the problem.

GET THAT EQUIPMENT CHECK OUT PROPERLY BEFORE REUSING>

RobCharles1981 15:41 27 May 07

Thanks Fruit Bat Ile give that a try and report back.

RobCharles1981 11:22 28 May 07

Morning All An Update:

I tested the Surge Protector on an another appliance such as my TV and Video and that didn't trip the electric at all. I then had an extention cable one end plugged into one of the sockets tv or video and connected my computer with its surge onto the extention cable fired up "Triped" reset the electric computer switches on.

Any Ideas?

wee eddie 11:35 28 May 07

Is, likely, wired up incorrectly

anniesboy 11:42 28 May 07

Bear in mind most TVs Videos etc do not have earthwire .
Remember if a RCB is tripping its doing what its there for
It should a process of elimination by switching things on one at a time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:55 28 May 07

Plug PC direct into nearest socket WITHOUT extension or surge protector DO not touch case of PC switch on does it trip?

Suspect small leak to earth as PC taks largest current as you first power up.

RobCharles1981 10:19 01 Jun 07

Morning All, I took the Surge Protecter back to where I brought it from and he tried it on this end, and theres nothing wrong the Surge Protector at all, I'm thinking thats its an earthing problem that I have here.

johndrew 15:01 01 Jun 07

You seem to be intent on playing with fire here. Several people have warned you of the risks but you don`t appear to be taking heed. The reason a `surge protector` (properly called and earth circuit breaker) trips is because there is a power leak to earth from the appliance using it. Additionally many houses also have fuse boxes incorporating a similar device which will trip under similar circumstances.

Before you either electrocute yourself or set fire to the house I suggest you do as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests. If it trips the safety device get the PC checked out properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5