Faulty PSU?

rickwoo 07:57 21 Dec 06

Noticed a funny smell coming from my computer, like TCP!! The computer wasn't on, but when i tried to turn it on it didn't work. I took the cover off and inspected inside, i seemed to narrow the smell down to the PSU, which I took apart and discovered a few black areas.
I'm assuming i will need to change it, but need some advice on what replacement to get. My computer is a Tiny P3, about 7-8 years old. The PSU gives a model number of PTP-1508, not sure whether I should be quoting the 230v input or 150w output figure? It's getting on so don't want to spend too much money, but need to get it working to at least save photos that I haven't backed up, Doh!!
Alternatively is there any way I can hook the hard drive up to my laptop and recover the files?
Many thanks

zarobian 08:11 21 Dec 06

Any Computer PSU sold in UK will be 230V/240V. 150W is a very low figure. You should invest in a power supply with the rating of at least 250W/300W depending upon your computer's configuration. The important factors to consider are:

1.CPU type;
2.Number of Hard Drives installed;
3.Number of optical drives installed (CDROM etc);
4.Type of graphic card.

I hope no other component in the computer has been damaged due to the demise of PSU.

'Z'

Taff™ 08:23 21 Dec 06

Hard Drive to laptop click here for an enclosure

Technotiger 09:16 21 Dec 06
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:24 21 Dec 06

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac