Faulty or Pirated Disney DVD's

Newuser939 13:52 08 Apr 14

I recently purchased a Disney DVD from a retailer on Amazon Marketplace. It was faulty and the retailer immediately replaced it. The replacement had exactly the same fault (a specific file that was unreadable). The retailer has agreed to give me a refund. However, it occurred to me that there were only two possible explanations, namely, either poor quality control by Disney or it was pirated. Accordingly, I contacted Disney who showed no interest whatsoever and merely (unhelpfully) told me to contact the retailer. Although I was surprised that Disney were not interested in the fact that their product was either poorly produced or pirated (or both!), I was wondering whether there is any other way to establish the true nature of the problem.

Ian in Northampton 14:17 08 Apr 14

I don't think you'll ever get to the bottom of it. Let go, and move on... :-) That said, you might want to Google the specific DVD to see if others have experienced the same problem. Fwiw, I'd guess it's a faulty batch. Amazon are pretty careful about who they'll allow to trade using their name, and would come down like a ton of bricks if there was any suspicion of a seller involved in piracy.

mart7 17:18 08 Apr 14

If its a pirate copy look on the underside of the disc you should be able to see where the disc has been burnt,a real dvd will have no marks whatsoever as they are pressed not burnt in a recorder

spuds 17:57 08 Apr 14

Agree with all that's been previously stated or suggested.

Accept the refund and move on, but if you are still curious about the whole affair, then with the refund purchase from elsewhere, and see if you get the same results?.

bumpkin 18:34 08 Apr 14

Mart7, that is interesting, I was unaware that they were pressed. I wonder at what quantity it becomes more viable or economical to do this.

mart7 19:12 08 Apr 14

Just like records in the old days a master disc was made and copied (pressed)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5