Faulty Laptop

sneakerman 18:10 10 Oct 05

I have a problem with a faulty laptop, initially it wouldn't boot to a standard desktop, just a blank screen, I have used Partition Magic to create a second hard disk and then Bart PE to move everything to the 2nd disk, the idea being to re-install XP Pro on the now blank c: drive, despite both PM and Bart PE working fine and in fact a Knoppix CD booting fine, when I insert a bootable XP cd, it gets to a small screen entitled 'setting up windows' proceeds for about a minute and the screen goes dark, I can just about see the blue screen, but it has stalled and nothing works not even Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I'm stumped?

pcbobby 19:41 10 Oct 05

Is this a new problem? By that I mean, has your cousin been able to previously send you Forwards without any trouble?
Norton and McAfee Antivirus software can sometimes be the culprit with regard to email problems.
You could suggest to your cousin, that he temporarily disables McAfee, and then try sending the forward to see if it makes any difference.

pcbobby 19:43 10 Oct 05

Sorry,sneakerman, I have posted in the wrong thread!!

Chegs ® 19:48 10 Oct 05

Faulty XP CD? New install conflict with old(driver?)Have you formatted C:\ partition?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Gongoozler 21:45 10 Oct 05

"screen goes dark, I can just about see the blue screen". This sounds to me like a hardware problem. Blue screens are usually quite visible! Are the displays from the other CD's clearly visible, and do they remain like that for a period of time?

Methedrine 00:46 11 Oct 05

Inverter/backlight problem perhaps?

sneakerman 09:28 11 Oct 05

C: has been formatted. Tried more than one copy of XP - same problem.

Screen is perfectly visible - although about 1/4 of the screen size - with Knoppix, and remains fine (but small), does this not exclude an Inverter/backlight problem?

I do think it is a hardware problem, but am completely out of my depth, something like unseated memory (which I have wiggled) but where do I start. I am going to have to take it to a shop but are they going to have anymore success!

More hints or tips please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:53 11 Oct 05

Can you boot to BIOS?

Check the display settings.

Or try to boot with an external monitor plugged in?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 11 Oct 05

Boost to top

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…