Faulty HP Laptop AC Connector

Dirty Dick 13:55 27 Feb 07

In July 2004, I bought an HP pavillion laptop, whist over in New York. Withing the first 12 months it had a problem with the AC Power conncetion at the back of the machine. It was eventually repaired under HP's GLOBAL warranty.

Unfortunately I have just tripped over the power lead and the connection is very loose. I have telephoned a local company that repairs Laptops and have been quoted a price of 182 pounds.

Does anybody know if it would be difficult to fix the problem myself? It seems that it is only the connector loose on the motherboard. If I need a new connector, does anybody know where I can get one from? OR does anybody know where I can get it repaired a lot cheaply?

Thanx

DD

oldbeefer2 14:04 27 Feb 07

If your power supply is low voltage from a transformer and you only need to change the coax socket, I would have thought it would be straightforward (as long as you can access the motherboard). Usual care to heat-sink any vulnerable bits when using the soldering iron to resolder/replace socket. £180 odd quid sounds a ripoff!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:04 27 Feb 07

The cost is mostly labour, to strip the laptop to the point where you can resolder or fit a new DC adapor is very time consumming, never mind build it back up again.

click here

£111.63 click here

From £75 click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 27 Feb 07

You have obviously never tried to strip down a modern laptop.

I agree £182 does sound steep for a £10 jack and a bit of solder.

;0)

oldbeefer2 14:10 27 Feb 07

FB - did have a go at my daughters with some success with a similar problem. Your link looks useful though - £75 is a bit better than £182!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 27 Feb 07

Not easy is it? and at aprox £30 an hour labour charges you can see why it mounts up.

Dirty Dick 16:30 27 Feb 07

.... looks like I'll be stripping it down this weekend, but does anybody know where I can get hold of :-

(1)The "10 pound jack"?

(2) Any kind of diagram of the inside of the laptop

wjrt 17:32 27 Feb 07

click here

try maplin or radio-spares for the jack

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 27 Feb 07

manuals click here

Jacks click here

once you know which one it is try a local electrical / TV repair shop or Maplins

Dirty Dick 13:50 03 Apr 07

...... I have stripped down the Laptop and attempted to re-solder the faulty power connector. I could see that the solder connection had broken, and thought it would be an easy job, not so. There were lots of other problems found under the cover, so a decision to put the Laptop to sleep, and invest what would have been a lot of money into a new Laptop. Thanx for everyone’s help
DD

Hness 21:04 11 Sep 07

Hi there, I have a Pavilion Laptop and the connector kept fusing today. You mentioned that you had yours repaired - I am trying to find warranty details on HP's site to no avail - can you help please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced