//some 3rd party need geo

Faulty Hard Drive????????? MAYBE (NEED HELP)

crumbdias 23:00 23 May 03

My friends pc will not boot to th operating system (XP PRO). Gets to a page that basically says sorry it did not load. This could be for a number of reasons. You then have a few options STart normally, last known useable config etc. No matter what is chosen the HD light on the tower stays on. Pc takes ages to decide what to do then you get the XP logo. Then the pc restarts and you go through it all over again. Tried to format the HD and got the message INVALID MEDIA OR TRACK 0 BAD- DISK UNUSABLE FORMAT TERMINATED. Does this mean they need a new Hard drive??????

cheers

powerless 23:02 23 May 03

Who is the manufacturer of the HDD?

Do you have backups of all the important stuff?

DieSse 23:04 23 May 03

Probably the HDD is bad. Before you finally decide, try running

fdisk /mbr

This will clear any viruses or junk out of the first (boot) record on the HDD.

Then try a format. If this still will not work, go to the manufacturers site for the HDD and get their daignostic and/or "zero-fill" program. You can then test the drive, and return it to "as shipped" stautus.

If it's a Seagate drive look for Seatools, if a Maxtor, for MaxBlast - for others, just look for the appropriate tools.

crumbdias 23:12 23 May 03

The HDD is made by MAXTOR and No I do not have a back up of anything

DieSse 23:15 23 May 03
  crumbdias 23:22 23 May 03

Thanks DieSse. Will download and try it now. I have the tower with me. Will let you know the outcome

crumbdias 00:21 24 May 03

Thank you so much DieSse. Needed repairing. Happy as Larry now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…