Faulty graphics card?

robert999123 18:39 30 Jun 07

About a week ago I began to have graphics problems when playing any 3d game - the game would crash, on restart I'd get a warning and memory dump screen. The problem has gradually got worse to the extent that graphics even in 2d are sometimes corrupted, and I can't get 3d to work at all. I've tried various drivers, I've swapped memory and tried another PSU (from my sons PC) but the problem is still there. I've reseated the card and checked temps which are within normal levels. I've now reinstalled windows, which went without a hitch, installed m/b drivers, no problem, but as soon as I installed video driver, the PC immediately crashed.

I'm assuming the graphics card is faulty - what do you think?

I'm running nvidia 7600GT graphics, AMD64 3500 (socket 939), Asus A8V-VM m/b, 1 gig memory and XP Home. I'd be grateful for any comments before I splash out on a new graphics card.

mrwoowoo 20:25 30 Jun 07

Sounds very much like the graphics card to me.Could you try a card from your sons pc to make sure,just in case it,s your agp or pcie slot.

robert999123 21:38 30 Jun 07

unfortunately, my son is on agp and im on pci express, so he can't help me I'm afraid. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new card - just over £60 from ebuyer for a 7600gt.

rdave13 21:46 30 Jun 07

It looks like the card is on the way out. Yet on xp graphic drivers(basic) it does not crash. Have a look here and maybe try a retro driver click here worth a try until you get a new card.

robert999123 22:14 30 Jun 07

Thanks for that Rdave - I'm currently running graphics on a basic windows driver. I've tried a couple of older nvidia drivers as well as a quaddro driver, but they all cause the same problem.

Totally-braindead 23:18 30 Jun 07

Try reinstalling the latest DirectX from Microsoft or from one of your game disks. Alternatively you could try the Omega drivers, do a google search for them, they are basically tweaked Nvidia and ATI drivers for gamers.

Totally-braindead 23:19 30 Jun 07

Oh before trying reinstalling DirectX goto START, RUN and type DXDIAG that will tell you what version you have and if there are any problems.

robert999123 09:50 01 Jul 07

Thanks for your help guys, only thing I can do now is order the graphics card and if it turns out that's not the problem I'll have to send it back. If it's not the graphics card it must be the m/b. I'll let you know in a few days.

robert999123 17:04 04 Jul 07

Yep, it was the graphics card alright. Many thanks for your help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…