Faulty Graphics card

ozziemandril 17:57 13 Oct 06

Hey, i posted a topic on here a couple of days ago. Basically when i start my computer the monitor says "no input signal." The monitor is fine. Is there any kind of test i can do on my motherboard to see what is going wrong without using the monitor?
Also could it be a power cable into the motherboard that is faulty, rather than my graphics card?
-thanks, oscar

Diodorus Siculus 17:58 13 Oct 06

As a start, I'd shut down the PC and check all conncections are secure.

eddie937 17:58 13 Oct 06

in my device manager i have no display adapter showing atall.

Diodorus Siculus 17:59 13 Oct 06

IE the cable into the graphics card and the the graphics card seating in the motherboard.

eddie937 17:59 13 Oct 06

connections checked. all ok

ozziemandril 18:02 13 Oct 06

hey i did do this the other day it all appeared to be slotted into place. Then i took out all the other cards and replaced those too.
In an unrelated question, if you uncover the GPU unit under the heatsink ie. undo all the screws of the heatsink and take it off, can this exposure damage the GPU (if that's the correct term)?

Diodorus Siculus 18:04 13 Oct 06

Taking the heatsink off should not cause a problem; running the PC with the heatsink off probably would after a while.

Do you have another graphics card you can use for the meantime to test?

ozziemandril 18:05 13 Oct 06

No i don't, this is the problem. I'm gonna have to buy a cheap one to test on i think. Can anyone recommend a very cheap replacement just to test on? Perhaps some old Radeon which would fit into the graphics card slot in my motherboard.
-oscar

eddie937 18:11 13 Oct 06

ATI red ball with white cross apears at start up. it says' No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware'. i have an ATI radeon x1600pro 256mb graphics card. i have been to ATI website but do not know which driver to install, im running xp home. can someone help me , pleeeeease.

Diodorus Siculus 18:32 13 Oct 06

eddie937 - start a new thread of your own - that way someone may be able to help you a little better.

eddie937 18:47 13 Oct 06

i thought this was my thread, sorry if it wasnt
ozziemandril

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…