Faulty CPU or is my PC telling fibs?

marble 20:29 16 Jul 03

I have an Athlon XP 1700 chip in my machine (bought in 2002). For the past month or so, the boot up screen (and Aida32) have been telling me I have an Athlon XP 1100Mhz (5.5 x 200).

There was a day a few weeks ago when WIN (98SE) would not boot and said there was a problem with the Registry and guided me through restoring a previous version ? but I could not swear that was when the CPU started being wrongly reported as being an Athlon XP 1100.

Can anyone guide me please?

In case it is of help, Mobo is K7S5A ? using 256MB DDRAM. The only reference I see for CPU setting in the Manual is -

CPU PnP Setup Page

and says the system auto detects the kind of
CPU installed and makes the appropriate
adjustments.

( I only mention this because I am extremely squeamish about going into the BIOS and I suppose I am ardently hoping it has nothing to do with something that has gone wrong with the settings. Could it be anything to do with me having to restore a previous version of the Registry? )

The machine should still be covered by Warranty -is there something simple I could be doing to get it back to normal, or shall I pester hubby to nip into town and get the dealer to sort it out for me ?

Thanks for any advice

marble

woodchip 20:37 16 Jul 03

It's nether you need to go into bios and set FSB to 133/133 you are running at 100

woodchip 20:39 16 Jul 03

PS on your board look for frequency, press delete key when you start comp to get into setup

marble 20:51 16 Jul 03

I will have a cool glass of white wine, then bite the bullet and start the machine up again!!

Apparently I have an entry for CPU Frequency (according to the Mobo Manual).

I feel much more confident now (will feel braver after that glass of wine!)

Cheers friend !

marble

marble 21:13 16 Jul 03

PC is happy now !!

You are a god !

This is a great forum and the gurus here have been wonderful to me.

I'm a very happy bunny now.

marble

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now