Faulty CDRW or what?

Rubroy 17:30 11 Jan 03
  Rubroy 17:30 11 Jan 03

I have a Mesh PC System with a CDRW drive I installed myself 18 months ago. Until a few weeks ago it worked fine. Now the system intermitently refuses to recognise it. Sometimes, days later, it will run perfetly normally. In parallel with this problem (though not necessarily related) my PC, running on Win 98, does not shut down properly. It displays the message 'It is now safe to shut down your PC' which I thought went out with earlier OS.

I have checked all cabling and wiring to the CD drive and there is no obvious fault. I have of course re-installed the software from the original CD but the fault persists. I cannot decide if this is a hardware problem or if it could be related to software or other programmes. Any ideas anyone please?

Milly Molly Mandy

1st RHA 17:36 11 Jan 03

sometimes this can be an ide bus controller problem you could try it on another cable line as well or updating it

woodchip 17:37 11 Jan 03

Have you tried a new cable

Rubroy 09:46 22 Nov 04

Thanks everyone. Problem turned out to be an intermittently faulty drive, now replaced

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…