Fault with HP Deskjet F4180 printer

Splodge 15:50 PM 06 Aug 11

I bought this old workhorse in October 2007 and it has served me well. But, for some reason it has begun to ask for re-installation every time I switch the computer on. Nor will it allow me to use the scanner.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the program and have gone to the HP site which will not give support out of warranty! Driver Genius does not identify any update.

Yes, I know it is time to purchase a new one but (and it is a BIG but speaking as a pensioner) I have 2 new cartridges installed and four new ones in reserve.

If I have to I will bite the bullet but perhaps someone has encountered a similar problem and has the solution.

Help please!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 PM 06 Aug 11

Disconnect printer from USB?

clean the registry with something like CCleaner's registry tool (very safe)

reinstall sofware

reconnect printer

Splodge 19:41 PM 06 Aug 11

Well I spent the afternoon on it but I cannot overcome the problem.

It was so cheap I just wonder if it shuts down some of the features after so long!

You can select the copy destination (say, the desktop) and it shows that OK but when the copy button is pressed that destination does not display, and yes, I tried others.

So, I am going to stay with it for printing and use my other computer with the newer printer for scanning ... thank heavens for USB sticks!

morddwyd 19:56 PM 06 Aug 11

Standard uninstall does not work on HP software - it leaves too much dross behind.

You need to do a Level 3 (or Level 4, which is more comprehensive) uninstall.

Insert your HP disc but do not run it, navigate to "L3 uninstall", I think it's in the "Utils" folder and run it.

Restart, manually remove any HP stuff you can still find (but not if it's an HP computer of course!), restart again.

Reinstall, though you might like to get updated software from here

You may need to do this more than once, set aside an evening or half a day.

Splodge 20:32 PM 06 Aug 11

For the present I have installed both printers on just the XP computer to use them for their respective functions.

That works!! phew.

The Windows 7 has just the one, later printer, installed fot the present.

morddwyd 08:23 AM 07 Aug 11

Remember, you don't need the HP software for normal basic printing.

Just uninstall the printer (in device manager, not the HP software) reboot and let Windows find the latest printer drivers.

You only need the HP software for extra stuff like scanning.

muddypaws 08:41 AM 07 Aug 11

Have you tried a full reset? Un-plug from mains. Hold down the # and 6 keys together while switching back on. When it indicates full reset-release the keys. You will have to reset the country. Partial reset is # and 3. Works on my 7 year old 900 series. Worth a try.

Splodge 16:32 PM 07 Aug 11

If I uninstall the F4180 printer I imagine the computer will revert to the other installed printer.

Your solution frightens me to be honest!

As it now stands, my old printer will print and my new one will scan.

When I get down to one complete (unused) cartridge of each colour, on the old printer, I will sell it locally for a tenner! Some learner will welcome it.

Can't complain, I have had massive results from it over the years.

Thanks for all your suggestions people.

But thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know