Fault finding on Cat5e cable

edmundsa 18:25 13 Jan 14

Hi world. Last year installed home network, Cat5e twisted pair external cable running from study to outside house to back into lounge. Used Philex Keystone jacks and surface mounts inside rooms. Network devices in lounge working a treat. Needed more network access from lounge so repeated the exercise this year. Tested the cables by connecting lounge end to keystone jack - and RJ45 patch cable - device, and other end to keystone jack - patch cable - router. No signal. I have checked I have connected the cable ends to the jacks correctly so is there some other way I can find out what is causing the problem. The cable was a bit coiled when I laid it but there are no big kinks in it. I have seen these cheap network cable testers on the web but these only seem to test RJ45 patch cables. Is there a tester for just the twisted pair cable. Thanks if anyone can help.

alanrwood 19:14 13 Jan 14

What do you mean by a twisted pair cable, one with just 4 wires connected (ie 2 pairs). The cheap cable testers just work on a continuity basis and the lights show when there is a connection. The lights are numbered so you know that 3 is connected to 3 on not 5 etc. Did you make the last cable yourself or was it bought. If it was purchased was it a cross over patch cable or a normal one.

edmundsa 21:45 15 Jan 14

Hi Alan. Thanks for replying. Its a standard 8 strand, 4 x 2 twisted pairs Cat 5e cable which I bought from a supplier. It is not a patch cable but a normal roll of cable. If I buy one of these testers, how do I connect the bare wires to the tester. All the articles and videos I can find on line just show both ends of a patch cable being inserted into the tester.

alanrwood 13:16 16 Jan 14

Forget about the TDR, they cost an absolute fortune.

Yes the testers will only check a cable which is already terminated with an RJ plug. Beta's suggestion is the only way. A cheap digital multimeter can be bought nowadays for about £6 on eBay etc

edmundsa 12:53 19 Jan 14

Thanks for the advice guys. Just so that I'm clear, expose the bare wires for one pair at one end and twist them together. At the other end, connect the bare wires from the same pair into a continuity tester/Multimeter? Dumb question from a non-electrician but the multimeters on offer don't seem to have a place where I can insert the bare wires. Do I have to just touch them with the probes and the unit will send a current through to test the connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…