Fatal Exception Occurred

Michael_R 17:29 27 Feb 04

I have started to get the following on shut down of my Dell Latitude CPx J750 Win 98.
I get the BSOD and then the message:A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0028:C00028C6 in VXD VMM(01)+000018C6. I then press "enter" and the computer reboots and then allows me to shut down again normally. It is a very intermittent fault.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated
Michael_R

Diodorus Siculus 17:33 27 Feb 04

Try the system file checker

start

run

sfc

run

When it begins, choose scan now and see what it comes up with. You will need your Win98 CD.

Michael_R 17:42 27 Feb 04

Thanks for a very swift suggestion, I should have listed some of the things I have tried.
Disc cleanup of all temp files, defragment, SFC, reloaded Graphics drivers as the MS site seemed to indicate that it might be graphics related. Reloaded Activ Sync 3.7.1 (for my PocketPC)as the previous versions of this were somewhat flakey.

Michael_R

Pidder 18:35 27 Feb 04

Have you used Scandisc with the option to "automatically correct errors" ticked, I find it seems to keep my 98SE on the straight and narrow.(touch wood)

woodchip 18:43 27 Feb 04

This sounds like a program that windows is having problem with when you try to close windows. Go to Start/Run type MSCONFIG and go to startup tab remove all the ticks exept System Tray and AV then try closing windows a couple of times. if it's then OK put back items one at a time until you get the problem back you then know the problem program

Michael_R 18:08 28 Feb 04

Thanks for your help and suggestions. But while attempting to resolve the problem my hard disc crashed. I now will have to buy a new hard drive and reload w98. I am sure this will solve the problem :-). I am having to compose this rsponse on my PDA. Thanks again
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…