fatal exception error

wcjlkt 12:34 06 Mar 05

I am running on windows 98 2nd edition and I am getting a message saying the following " a fatal exception od has occured at 0477:00000316. the current application will be terminated". the system now opens up in safe mode.
Can anyone advise how I overcome this.

Gongoozler 12:44 06 Mar 05

Hi wcjlkt. Are there any clues as to what program is initiating this error. If there is no definite pattern, then click Start - Run. Type in msconfig and click OK to exit. In the box that opens click the Startup tab. There will be a list of applications. Click on the boxes alongside any that you don't recognise as important to Windows (if you are in doubt then post a list here). Restart the computer and see if the problem has gone away. If it has, then put the ticks back into the boxes one at a time until the problem returns.

Another thing to bear in mind is that badly written adware can cause these problems. Download and run AdAware click here to see if there is any on your computer.

wcjlkt 21:34 06 Mar 05

Gongoozler, I made really good progress and ran AdAware and found that I had to put some files into quarantine. However on restarting the pc it came up with the following: windows Fatal error occured at OD 0477:00000316 and still have to run in Safe Mode.

It looks as though I have lost some lines in windows that enables the pc to run correctly.

Gongoozler 21:39 06 Mar 05

If Windows is running in Safe Mode, there is probably not much wrong. Any failure to run is then generally due to something that is loaded at startup or to a corrupt driver. Have you tried checking the startup items in msconfig.

Gongoozler 21:43 06 Mar 05

click here. To quote "A Fatal Exception Error 0D is a General Protection Fault. A program has been corrupted in memory. Most often, it is caused by outdated or damaged video drivers"

wcjlkt 23:16 06 Mar 05

Hi Gongoozler. Have started to do as you suggest. In fact the problem did occur after loading a video and then shutting down without stopping the programme properly.Error still shows when all tick boxes are off in start up. Will spend a bit of time reading information you indicted in teh 'click here' box. Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.

Gongoozler 08:41 07 Mar 05

Hi wcjlkt. On the basis that this could well be a graphics driver problem you could try reinstalling the graphics driver. In safe mode, in Device Manager, remove the graphics driver reboot and then reinstall the graphics driver.

wcjlkt 18:58 08 Mar 05

Gongoozler thank you so much. After a an initial struggle, have follwed your advice and drivers now all ok. Running in normal mode. Have reloaded graphics drivers and they are stable. Thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…