fatal exception

2020 16:18 27 Sep 03

i have just reloaded w98 as it had started to automaticly shutdown. all seemed ok i tried out a couple programs ok the i went to empty the recycle bin which held a very large previous w98 settings. then i kept getting
fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C14E975B in VxD WD 40VXD(01)+0000068B this current application will be terminated. then when i press any key to continue i get the following 0028: 00000028 in VxD VWIN32(03)+ 00001FOA it may be possible to continue normally. when i press any key to continue the screen goes blank and when i have manually restarted it has run scan disk as it states windows did not shut down properly.
what should i do now. i am running this on a compaq deskpro

Gongoozler 18:22 27 Sep 03

Hi 2020. I can't find any references to these particular error messages. Fatal exceptions are often hardware related, with memory chips being one of the most common culprits. I suspect this is not the cause in your case. Have you tried starting your computer in safe mode to check that the problem is not caused by software?

I also note that you have just reloaded Windows 98. Was this a clean reinstall after reformatting the hard drive?

Fateful Shadow 19:45 27 Sep 03

What I can see from the error, is that it might be something to do with hardware. I say that because of the VxD.

My friend had a problem similar to this. Instead of VxD it came up with VKD. The "k" meant the keyboard. I think that 'x' is a variable.

Anyway, I fixed it for her by running scandisk from DOS (because she couldn't get into windows) and found that she had physical damage to her hard drive, which was fixed by scandisk. I would give scandisk a go first.

Hope this helps :)

2020 23:06 27 Sep 03

hi i had wnt preloaded. then i'm not sure how, i loadede w98. this became unstable- crashing when i tried to run programs. i had wanted to run w98 cause i was on ntl dialup. anyway after much ado trying to load w98 i gave up and reinstalled win nt4 but had to reformat drive. this is ok if i can access my broadband connection which is currently thru my laptop. hope this makes sense and thanks

Gonzalis 19:00 28 Sep 03

If you can get Windows XP!

Gongoozler 19:12 28 Sep 03

Hi 2020. Windows 98 does crash sometimes, but I don't find it nearly as bad as you are experiencing. My Windows 98se rarely crashes. If your computer is that bad I think it is very likely that you have an underlying problem, possibly a borderline memory timing. This could also be the cause of your fatal exceptions.

2020 21:21 28 Sep 03

many thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…