Fatal exception 06 - please help

yattonharry 15:42 01 Nov 05

Oh dear I am getting around to pulling out my hair!! I have done two things this morning to the computer that I wish to move date from.[Running Windows 98 SE]

[1] is slow down the mouse and [2] I tried to change the pointers but that made the computer crash. I have some very odd pointers of recent weeks, I have Dangerous Creatures theme/background with a tennis ball and a red arrow as pointers!!

[3] I moved some folders that were not supposed to be there from the Frontage web folder.

Now every time I log on, everything goes fine, until I go into 'My section' [spouse has another area] then computer crashes and I get error message saying:- Fatal exception 06 has occured at 0000:00000027

I do not know what this means and I therefore don't know what to do.

I don't know if it is of relevance but see my postings 29/10/0- Loaded programme on -now computer wont work correctly

Please can someone help me out??

Zaphod Beeblebrox 15:48 01 Nov 05

ms seem to be pointing to AV prob i dont know if this applies to yours but heres a link if you want to take a look

click here

Splork 16:14 01 Nov 05

Make sure any antivirus software is up to date and do a full scan.
Boot in Safe Mode (press F8 repeatedly before the Windows logo), goto My Computer, drive C, right click and select Properties, find `Check disk for problems` (my memory of win98 is fading so I could be mistaken) and do a thorough check, tick both boxes (auto fix errors & sector scan) - when it's finished go to Start Menu/Logoff and select `Restart in MSDOS mode` - in the blank page that should appear type `scanreg /fix` (without the quotes) - when that has finished reboot normally.

yattonharry 16:31 01 Nov 05

Thanks to you both. I neglected to say that the Windows 98 is now not linked to the internet and the AVG is out of date.

Shall I try these restart instructions? Sorry to be dense - but if I knew I suppose I wouldn't be asking the questions! <grin> Could I simply Remove the AVG?

Cheers

Splork 16:36 01 Nov 05

The antivirus thing is just belt-and-braces - the latest updates have been pretty big though, so unless you have broadband it might not be worth hooking it up again. Leave it on there just in case. Do the other checks though and see if it helps.

yattonharry 17:57 01 Nov 05

Well I have taken it off now, sorry. I tried your two suggestions and they didn't work either.

I am still getting crashes everytime. I do know that there are no viruses on the computer though, as I checked prior to taking AVG off. Sorry about that now. My new machine has AVG and is right uptodate.

Any more suggestions please? I am stumped and I need to take off data from the 'old' machine.

Splork 18:07 01 Nov 05

Does it do the same thing in Safe Mode? And is it only when you access the folder you mentioned, or random?
Uninstall every last unneccessary program/addon/theme/screensaver etc.

yattonharry 16:37 02 Nov 05

I believe that we have the reason for the crashes and I have written under 'loaded computer etc.,' the result.

Thanks for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…