Fatal exception 0028:C003B9FB in VxD IOS(01) 98se

Kalitechnis 11:20 01 Jan 04

In the past few days I have reformatted my HDD and re-installed most of my programs.
Now, on rebooting/shutting down Windows(98se), I get a BSOD with "a fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C003B9FB in VxD IOS(01) & 00000AB3"
It does not happen every time, but pretty often-say 30% of the time.
I have tried taking out all the start-up programs in Msconfig, but this does not stop the fatal exceptions.
I have installed the Windows 98se shutdown patch.
Sys file check comes up with nothing.

I recall having the same (or very similar) FE a long time ago, and seem to recall that a file or 2 needed adding or changing in the Windows\System\Iosubsys directory.
I have searched the net (the exact message, and shortened versions) endlessly, with no results, though I'm sure I found the cure to the previous FE on the net.

Please can anyone help me with this?

Many thanks for any advice.
And a very Happy New Year to all,

Rayuk 11:58 01 Jan 04

Is this what you are after look under
"Windows 98 driver bugs"
click here

Gongoozler 11:59 01 Jan 04

Have a look at this site click here. I think item 6 describes your error message.

Kalitechnis 12:41 01 Jan 04

Gongoozler and Rayuk,

My thanks for your links..
Gongoozler, I have seen that FE link, but I dont have a scssi printer, plus it's a Win95 error. Thanks all the same.

Rayuk, I shall try your links' advice, will advise on success or lack thereof.

Cheers,

K

Big Elf 13:24 01 Jan 04

Also see click here and this MS article click here

Big Elf 13:26 01 Jan 04

After reading what you first posted again the MS link suggests the following:

"To resolve this issue, rename the Sb16.vxd file in the Windows\System\Iosubsys folder."

Kalitechnis 15:35 01 Jan 04

Well, I think I have found the culprit...Nero Burning. I uninstalled it and there have been no repeats of the Fatal Exception after about 20 reboots..touch wood I have got it sorted!

Thanks for all help,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…