Fatal Error with Nero version 5.0.3.4

Gongoozler 11:25 22 Jan 04

Motherboard Abit KT7A with 850M Duron running Windows 98se. CD-RW Teac CD-W512EB. Nero Burning Rom version 5.0.3.4

I have been able to burn Cds with no problems since I fitted my CD-RW drive over 3 years ago. Last week I used ForceASPI to update my ASPI files to version 4.71.2 to see if this would help with another problem where my 6in1 card reader prevented Window booting if left connected during boot up. The card reader worked fine with the new ASPI files, but I got a fatal error FE when I tried to burn a cd. I tried uninstalling and reloading Nero, reverting to the original ASPI version 4.5.7. and using ASPI version 4.6. Whatever I try I still get the FE error OE has occurred at 0028:C003C0B2 in VXD IOS(01)+000146E. The error only occurs when Nero actually tries to start the burn. SFC shows no errors. I have tried searching Google and found a few references to this error but no solution other than using Nero 6 or different CD burning software.

Before I reformat my C drive and restore from a backup, or ditch Nero and use something else, I thought I would see if any of our forum members have any ideas I could try.

Chegs ® 11:47 22 Jan 04

This error message appears if in the Nero directory you can find the Nero-ASPI driver you find WNASPI32.DLL (Version 2.0.0.0) and in the Windows\System \IOSUBSYS directory the file NEROAPIX.VXD is missing.

Solutions:

You copy the missing NEROAPIX.VXD into the Windows\System\IOSUBSYS directory
or

You delete the file WNASPI32.DLL from the Nero directory

I have tried searching google for the VXD IOS(01) error,and looked thru them for anything that included Nero,and the above is the only reference that included Nero.I doubt if it will cure your problem,but "nothing ventured,nothing gained" as folk say.

Gongoozler 14:29 22 Jan 04

Hi Chegs ®. Thanks for the suggestion. I thought we had cracked it. I followed your idea and on the way I found that there was an upgrade available. I upgraded to Nero version 5.0.4.8. This didn't cure the problem, so I put in NEROAPIX.VXD and WNASPI.DLL. I then burned a cd with no problem, but when I closed Nero i got exactly the same error message. I did initially get an error message that Nero couldn't use NERO APIX, so I'll pursue that for a while.

Stuartli 16:27 22 Jan 04

Latest version of Nero is 5.5.10.54 but you can only upgrade from 5.5.10.42; this will have to be install first before the latest upgrade.

Stuartli 16:29 22 Jan 04

Latest version of Nero is 5.5.10.54 but you can only upgrade from 5.5.10.42; this will have to be installed first before the latest upgrade.

Stuartli 16:36 22 Jan 04

Is this related?

click here;en-us;299976&Product=w98

Gongoozler 19:03 22 Jan 04

Hi Stuartli. Thanks for the ideas. The update I did to Nero was just to a newer version of 5.0. I tried the Microsoft suggestion, but after removing apix.vxd, Windows would only boot into safe mode, and then it wouldn't recognise the cd drives. I restored apix.vxd from a backup already on the C drive and can at least boot into Windows normally.

I've now backed up all my important C: drive data and moved my e-mail store and Temporary Internet File folder to the D: drive. Tomorrow I'll wipe the C: drive and restore my latest backed up version.

Gongoozler 10:33 24 Jan 04

Thanks Chegs ® and Stuartli for your suggestions. I really didn't expect to find a solution. I'd already done a fairly comprehensive Google search and not found anything that worked. The strange thing is that Nero had worked without any hint of a problem for over 3 years, until I upgraded my ASPI files. Anyway I have now resolved the problem by bypassing it. I dug out the cover disk from the November 2003 issue of PC Advisor and installed NTI CD-Maker. I then burned a disc with no difficulty. I'll tick this thread as resolved, but am still mystified as to what actually went wrong. If I was really clever, I would probably find a registry key that has been changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…