fatal crash

staples printer cartridge 23:13 22 Aug 06

This evening when I booted up my computer I noticed the screen which first appears (relates to my mobo) was taking a long time to clear; then my DVD was slow in reacting and it crashed. I rebooted and the same thing happened so I decided to use my Acronis True Image to roll back a few days as I had installed some new drivers. This didn't work, it said it could not read a certain sector of the hard drive and I tried to go back to sevarl incremental True iamges and the same thing happened. I then tried to use the boot up disc I had made when I installed True image but my DVD player wouldn't respond; light came on but it wouldn't read the disc. It won't read the windows disc either so I can't boot from that. Any ideas please?

woodchip 23:20 22 Aug 06

Yes your Hard Drive as some Damage on it. it said it could not read a certain sector of the hard drive

staples printer cartridge 23:22 22 Aug 06

any suggestions about what to do and can I, for instance, recover any data from my True Image?
Thanks
Ian

woodchip 23:28 22 Aug 06

You have to run a Scandisk Program, But cannot remember what it is from DOS or if it will Run from XP CD. If you have a XP CD I would start with it and see if it will do a Repair. As that should check the disc. But wether it Does a full scan I do not know. As this would normally be started in XP Windows. I am also ready for bed So head not as clear as it should be. I do have n excuse, I am 70

staples printer cartridge 23:30 22 Aug 06

thanks - will need to find out how to scandisk from DOS as my DVD drive won't respond, ie, I cannot boot from CD! But am to bed meself, so thanks anyway.
Ian

terryf 23:30 22 Aug 06

Of course, in the future you will put your Acronis backup on an extenal usb Drive, not much consolation now but an idea for later.

staples printer cartridge 11:12 23 Aug 06

It is on an external USB drive but not sure how that helps.
Ian

woodchip 13:29 23 Aug 06

Check this out as I do not know how far or what you have done after the Crash. click here

Also click here

vinnyT 14:11 23 Aug 06

Do you you have 2 cd/dvd drives? If you do, have you tried booting from both.

I, too, use TI with a cd bootable version, it will only boot from 1 of the drives and not the other.

May be of no use whatsoever, in that case, just ignore me:-)

staples printer cartridge 21:36 23 Aug 06

seems I may have been hit by a double whammy. I only have one CD/DVD drive and when I put a new one in it worked. So i then tried to boot using True Image and restore from my back ups but it appears my hard drive has a bad sector! I will let you know what happens.

terryf 22:17 23 Aug 06

Go to the site of the mfr of your hard drive, download their test program(s), these run from a bootable floppy or cd which the progs make for you. Use these progs to test your drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…