FAT32 and Windows Media Centre

OU812 23:36 25 May 04

My sister has just brought a Media Centre PC and I have been over to hers today to help her set it up.

Since it runs on Win XP Pro base (which I use) I was surprised on checking out the properties of her disk (a single large partition of 149GB) that it is shown as been formatted as FAT32 as opposed to NTFS which I was expecting to see.

My question then is if this is normal and if so how since it was my understanding that the move to NTFS was caused by (amongst other things)the fact that FAT32 could only supply a much lower disk capacity (6 GB if memory serves).

As an aside, despite me not recomending such a system to her (jack of all trades and so forth) it does work quite impressively in practice,if a little on the hot side (due to the SFF case) for my liking.

Simon_P 01:07 26 May 04

that it is FAT32 since it is new and has XP, the max recomended HDD is 30GB, but I have seen a 80 GB drive working fine on FAT32.
I would get her to ask the system builder why that is. NTFS is much more stable too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…