FAT32 Problem with 2nd HDD

miner 12:42 14 Oct 05

I'm trying to format a 2nd HDD (80Gb)on my pc (W98se) and using fdisk I cannot get the system recognised as FAT32.

I'm not intending to partition the new drive - my understanding is that W98 will accomodate FAT32 on partitions over 32GB - is this correct?

Klof Ron 13:22 14 Oct 05

Have you created an Extended DOS Partition and created Logical Drive(s) on you second hard drive prior to attempting to format it?

woodchip 14:24 14 Oct 05

It looks to me as if your BIOS will not support that size disc or check the drive to see if there is another jumper for HD size

woodchip 14:25 14 Oct 05

BIOS first need to be able to see the drive before you can FDISK format etc

miner 17:47 14 Oct 05

Woodship - yes I ran auto-detect on the Bios and the drive is there.

Klof Ron - I have performed the Extended DOS Partition and created Logical Drive(s).

Re. the HD size - my first HDD is an 80Gb also.

I've double checked the jumper settings against the manual and they are correct too....

miner 18:30 14 Oct 05

I now find that the 2nd drive shows up in My Computer but when I try to use Drive Converter (FAT 32) it says there are no drives that can be converted to FAT32.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…