Fat32 or NTFS?

Sapins 16:46 10 Jun 04

I have 2 hard drives fitted, "C" is 15GB and is on Fat32, "G" is 80GB ready to be formatted.

Which is the best system to use and if I go for NTFS is it easy to change drive "C"?

I have XP Home on "C" drive. I want to use the bigger drive to store back-ups and photos etc:

SANTOS7 16:49 10 Jun 04

click here this will help, good luck

ventanas 16:50 10 Jun 04

No contest NTFS. To change drive C open a command prompt and type

convert c: /fs:ntfs

You will be told that it cannot be done because the drive is in use and do you want to convert at the next restart. Say yes and restart.

ventanas 16:56 10 Jun 04

I should add that, although I've done this quite a few times on various machines and never had a problem, its always a good idea to backup first. I would set up your new drive first and backup anything vital to it.

Also before the conversion starts you will be asked for the volume label eg Local disk, Main Drive etc. Enter it when the question appears. Say yes to all other questions.

Sapins 16:57 10 Jun 04

Thanks for the link, I'd hardly stopped typing, mind you at my speed that's no big deal:-)
I think I will go for NTFS, but first of all I have to make sure I can change the file system on "C" drive. I understand that I use a COMMAND Prompt! I'll check it out in the help files.

Sapins 17:01 10 Jun 04

See what I mean about my typing speed ventanas, you sent 2 replies before I can move! Your help is very much appreciated though, you haven't got a Crystal Ball instead of a mouse have you? Come to think of it, it would roll off your desk LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…