//some 3rd party need geo

FAT32 to NTFS

Dearersteak 20:19 03 Jun 03

OK, upgraded from 98 to XP pro a while back, left my C drive as Fat 32 incase all went wrong and decided to revert to 98. But have now got to the point where I’m happy with XP and want to switch my C: to NTFS. I was under the impression that there was a tool in XP that would allow me to do this as when I did it on a friend’s laptop, there was. And after it had finished, it had freed up over a Gig worth of space, (one more reason for doing so). But I have yet to find it on my machine. Looked in all the places you would expect to find it, but no joy.
Any ideas

Cheers

spikeychris 20:22 03 Jun 03

Go to run and type cmd, then type this

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Hit enter...

Chris

spikeychris 20:23 03 Jun 03

Just re-read your post...it will not free up any memory..

The Spires 20:24 03 Jun 03

You will need to defrag afterward & don't be alarmed if this takes much longer than usual the fisrt time. Later defrags will be quicker than with FAT 32.

Rayuk 20:25 03 Jun 03

Go to Help and support in WinXP and type
Convert Fat32 to NTFS in WinXP

Kitz E Kat 20:26 03 Jun 03

It will free up HD Space, wont it??

The Spires 20:27 03 Jun 03

I agree with spikychris, NTFS takes up slighty more room if anything but is much more stable & robust.

Dearersteak 20:29 03 Jun 03

well, When i did this laptop, i check it befor and after, and i tell u as a matter of Fact, ther was just over as gig less than befor!, don't ask me why, but thats what happened

jospar 20:37 03 Jun 03

It is included in the recovery console of the cd, If I remember rightly insert cd on boot up and follow he screen instruction, I'm not sure what effect this has on data, has I've normally converted while installing the os.

Last time I did this it did inform that there was already a os on the disk, while I was up-grading.

worth a look.

The Spires 20:38 03 Jun 03

You may have found lost clusters due to past crashes on the Laptop, if you are sticking with XP the only disadvantage with NTFS is you can't use a DOS boot disk, I have never gound that an issue. But on average sized drives you won't gain space converting.

Dearersteak 21:14 03 Jun 03

Ok, well, did'nt free up much space, but i'm on NTFS so mission complete! Defrag is underway, Thanks everyone.

Green tick on the way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…