fat32 to ntfs

geedad 22:42 24 Jun 06

Tried to convert from FAT32 to NTFS using Command Prompt, then typing in convert J:/fs:ntfs (the drive nummber IS J ).
However, I am asked for a volume name, which I guessed would be ANY name I made up, but pop-up tells me that the name is not a proper volume label name. Anyone help,please?
geedad

SANTOS7 22:46 24 Jun 06

It will look something like j:\whatever.. and whatever the whatever is, is what your volume label is called..

woodchip 22:47 24 Jun 06

Right click the Drive in My Computer Properties put a name in the box then use this name on what you want to do

ed-0 22:49 24 Jun 06

just press enter for volume name.

woodchip 22:51 24 Jun 06

and that should work if there is none in the box.

Hi ed-0

De Marcus™ 22:55 24 Jun 06

To convert from fat32 to NTFS a drive would have to be installed and recognised in 'My Computer'. When you open my computer and look at Drive J: it should have a name and read somewhere along the lines of

*MY HARD DRIVE* (J:)

ed-0 22:56 24 Jun 06

Yes, if there is nothing in the box.

Hi woodchip

De Marcus™ 22:56 24 Jun 06

Sorry, hit the post response to early,

if the drive in question doesn't have a label under 'My Computer' then just hit enter as ed-0 suggests.

dogbreath1 00:15 25 Jun 06

Presumably, J:\ is an external hard drive. Some such drives do not support NTFS. For example, my Buffalo 300GB Ext HDD will only support Fat 32.

geedad 00:16 25 Jun 06

SANTOS - I typed in 'whatever' and it didn't work.
woodchip - Will try.
ed-0 - just pressed 'Enter' and it didn't work.
De Marcus - Will look at.
ed-0 - OK.
De Marcus - OK.

I'll come back after more trials and errors!
geedad

SANTOS7 00:20 25 Jun 06

NO, you type in exactly what comes after J:\ there will be a name or something after it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now