Southernboy 13:28 17 Feb 05

I am awaiting delivery of a new Evesham PC, which will have a hard drive with NTFS.
Much of my backup to be transferred over is on a Maxtor external hard drive which is FAT32. I am told that when the files are transferred to the new PC, XP will automatically convert them to NTFS. Is that correct?

However, when I start to backup the new PC, I will be sending NTFS files to a FAT32 hard drive. Is that a problem?

I know I can reformat the Maxtor to NTFS - it tells me so in the manual - but the reformat will lose previous generations of backup which I wish to keep for the forseeable future.

I never even thought about this, but there must be a solution. Any help will be appreciated.

ste_bla 13:39 17 Feb 05

FAT32 > NTFS requires no reformate it can be done on fly but make back ups!

NTFS > FAT32 requires a full format

The drives in your system can be a mixture of NTFS & FAT32, the only problem is if you try to put the NTFS drive into an older pc with older o/s (ME or below)

So you can leave the external disc as it is and will work fine!

PS i have a NTFS Disk with windows, FAT32 External USB & 1 internal ide hdd!

FelixTCat 14:02 17 Feb 05

You posted this same issue to a different thread: To 2nd Hard drive or not to 2nd Hard drive

I have answered it there. Double posting is confusing - your problem might be answered on one and everybody trying to help you on the other is wasting their time. Please only post the question to one thread.

Southernboy 14:31 17 Feb 05

I felt guilty about hijacking someone else's thread so thought I should have started my own thread.

No intention to confuse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…