FAT16 boot drive FAT32 slave

Laser157 15:31 30 Dec 03

I am trying to resolve problems with my Father's computer. Installing digital camera software led to message about problem loading explorer.exe and said Windows needed to be installed again. Tried to overlay Windows on existing but would not run maybe because not enough space on drive. Would not start in safe mode either.

Installed Win Me on an old hard drive in FAT 16. Made other drive slave, trying to recover data before repartitioning and formatting. System working and BIOS detects both HDDs. Windows will not show drives on slave. Might this be because it is FAT32 and boot drive is FAT16?

woodchip 15:55 30 Dec 03

Do not know, but the Win98 CD as a fat 32 converter, may be if you had a look at the WinME cd it may have the same tool

Laser157 16:01 30 Dec 03

Thanks Woodchip. I'll try that.

Laser157 16:49 30 Dec 03

Converted boot drive to FAT32 but same problem. Slave is picked up by BIOS and shows in System Information but the drives on it are not appearing in My Computer. Any other possible reasons?

Laser157 17:51 30 Dec 03

A bit more information: In system information the slave drive is shown as one partition of 7.84Gb. The disk is actually 30Gb split into approx 15 partitions of 2GB.

Barney8 19:56 30 Dec 03

Can anyone help me with this?

LeadingMNMs 20:04 30 Dec 03

Is the newer drive still set as a master ?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 20:20 30 Dec 03

I think you will need to convert all the partitions to the same format not sure tho why do you need 15 2 gig partitions? can u not format them in fdisk and make 1 big 1 leaving the main 7 gig 1 intact?

Regards.

Laser157 21:30 30 Dec 03

Thanks for replies. (Sorry for any confusion when I used my Dad's login!)
Answers: Newer drive set as slave. All partitions should now be Fat32 but can't check newer drive to be sure as I can't access it. Formatting in Fdisk would lose data. I may have to format just the c drive on the newer disk and reinstall there, but I'm trying to avoid losing email on that drive. Other data is in other drives on that disk so OK. May have to take his newer drive home with me and try it on my machine to extract data. Trouble is I live 330 miles away!

woodchip 22:41 30 Dec 03

The fat 16 as a limit of 2Gb you can get rid by using Partition Magic or another partitioning program I use Acronis. You can combine partitions so that you will have more free space on C:\ without having to reload all the software programs. The extra free space should allow you to run Win98se Setup again over the top. Which should solve the problem. To use combine partitions you would have to remove all from say D:\ to other partitions then with The partitioning software you would Delete D:\ and it would then leave free space on the drive you would then expand C:\ by dragging a slider in the program to combine the free space with C:\ to make a 4Gb C:\ drive

Laser157 09:35 31 Dec 03

Woodchip, thanks for the advice. I'll take the drive home with me and think about what you have advised. I seem to recall someone posting about a free version of Acronis on a PC mag CD, so I'll do a bit of searching. I'll mark this as resolved for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…