FAT or NTFS

no-name 20:42 10 Oct 04

I've read various articles about FAT v NTFS but none seem to spell out which is the best for which type of job being undertaken;

e.g. am I right in thinking that NTFS would be better for home video editing?

TomG 20:50 10 Oct 04

I'm not an expert but NTFS seems more stable so maybe it would be better for video

Diodorus Siculus 21:02 10 Oct 04

Further, as I understand it, NTFS is better as it can handle larger file sizes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 10 Oct 04

Either system will do for video editing

NTFS is just a different way of organising the files on the hard drive less wasting of space.
Only disadvantage is disks cannot be read by older operating systems such as Win98se.

VoG II 21:06 10 Oct 04

I would say NTFS too click here

no-name 21:58 10 Oct 04

Thanks all. It sounds as though NTFS is better all round.

I seem to recall a maximum file size of 4GB when making my last video under FAT - presumably it will be unlimited with NTFS? or would that have been software related (Pinnacle Studio 9 and Nero 6)?

VoG II 22:03 10 Oct 04

Have a read click here

no-name 22:27 10 Oct 04

Thanks a lot VoG™ that confirms what I remembered - so it'll be NTFS on my next system.

Giggle n' Bits 22:43 10 Oct 04

there is a cut between the size of the HDD.
Over 34GB and Microsoft Recomends NTFS
Anything From & over 20GB I have used NTFS and its a stabilty reasons.

During the first release of XP many OEM machines like Pbell, Time etc were installed in FAT32 and seemed to be top for crashing to prove the point.

Nowadays most machines are NTFS.

What does NTFS actually stand for, forgot that one though even though its not the question you ask.

VoG II 22:45 10 Oct 04

New Technology File System

je pense...

March Hare 23:52 10 Oct 04

Been wondering about this choice.Thanks for the info Vog.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…