FAT 32 partion on Laptop hard drive w/ XP HELP!

My Mum's laptop has a 40GB hard drive. It runs very slowly so I went to defrag it for her. In Defrag it shows that the file system is FAT 32 and the hard drive is split in two one is named Acer C and the other Acer Data D. The C drive has only 7% space left on it and the D has 98% space! Can the partition be removed? If not how do you best utilise this?
Also the C drive cannot be defragged as it "may be corrupted", any ideas here also?
Many thanks in advance!

Ditch999 15:36 05 Apr 08

Create a folder on D:\ and call it Mum or something. Move the My Documents folder (R click > Properties > Move) from C:\ to D:\ and select the option to Move when asked.

brundle 15:38 05 Apr 08

Run Scandisk to check the drive; click here

Check what's using the largest proportion of HD space with this; click here

Click the `EXE` button, it won't need installing (and taking up even more space) - you can just run it.

Thanks will try both. If I move my documents will I need to delete them in the C drive? Am I right in sayingit only copies when "Moving" between drives? Could she install progs to the d drive now? Thanks!

Ditch999 16:16 05 Apr 08

When moving the My Documents folder it should give you the option of Copying or Moving. It is moving you want and that will move everything to the D: partition. Copying will leave everything on the C: drive as well as putting it on the D: drive. You can install programmes to the D: drive but it is not recommended. Try deleting temporary files and Internet Explorer Files as well Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

tullie 16:24 05 Apr 08

If theres very little in my documents,is there any point?

Ditch999 16:32 05 Apr 08

In this case there is. Any space freed up will be welcome and due to the other problems re defragmenting, if you have your Documents on a separate partition you can format the C: drive and reinstall Windows if necessary and your documents will be left intact on the D: drive.

brundle 17:30 05 Apr 08

XP itself should use about 4-6GB, there must be something else using the space. Turn off hibernation if it's never used, that will save a big chunk of HD space (equal to the memory installed in the laptop). click here

Quiller. 17:37 05 Apr 08

reduce the size of system restore. It will be using nearly 2.5gig of the C drive. Drop it down to just under 1gig.

Also run Ccleaner click here It is free and will clean out all your temp stuff.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 05 Apr 08

If only 7% left on drive thats why it wont defrag.

After moving MY documents also move the page fle to the D drive, click here
that will help speed things up.

Use Ccleaner click here to get rid of rubbish on the drive.

Eric10 18:35 05 Apr 08

Even if there seems to be very little in My Documents, it's still worth moving it because the D: drive will then become the default location for future saves. Also, there may be more than you think since My Pictures and My Music are inside the My Documents folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…