FAT 32 or NTFS

I have just bought a new computer with a 160gb disk,should I stay with the FAT32 system or change to NTFS?

spikeychris 11:23 23 Jul 03

NTFS makes sense. Just type From a command prompt.

Convert c: /fs:ntfs

Chris

dth 11:31 23 Jul 03

I'd stick with Fat32. Although there are some benefits in using NTFS - FAT32 is a much more flexible system.

dth 11:37 23 Jul 03

Sorry another point I should have added.

You should give some thought to partitioning your hard drive. With (say) 10gbs for your drive C with Windows XP and your programmes etc and the rest split up for your data. The main advantage in this approach is if you o/s (win XP) gets messed up - you can simply wipe drive C and re-install Windows XP without affecting all your data.

MichelleC 12:19 23 Jul 03

Also not to forget the fat32 hd recommended 32gb max limit. The os will see 160gb and it and might cope up to a point, but anything over 32gb in fat32 isn't as stable as 160gb ntfs. Some say ntfs is slower, but marginally. I do dv editing so space is a must. My 120gb couldn't cope on fat32 so it's now ntfs.

HighTower 13:41 23 Jul 03

I would go for NTFS as it has the advantage of added stability.

-pops- 14:17 23 Jul 03

There is a risk, albeit small, of damage/loss of data when doing the changeover - it happened to me once and I would normally suggest leaving it as it is. In the circumstances of it being a new machine with little, if anything to lose in the way of data, I would suggest that you do convert to NTFS for all the reasons stated above - and more!

With a large drive, NTFS is much more accomodating.

Brian

Gaz W 14:36 23 Jul 03

I don't think you'll notice a difference in speed if you convert to NTFS. Mostly when I install Windows 2000 or XP I use NTFS. If more than one person uses the computer, NTFS provides better security so if you have user profiles, data stored in the profiles is secure from other users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…